Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Jammin'John,
PA really has a lot of deer although around this area they all get run over. The Poconos are really bad for deer jumping out at you.
For the little 45 MPH roads you can usually do around 60 without garnering any attention.
One nice thing is only the State Troopers have radar guns so as long as you're not going berserk you're in good shape.
The roads in Maryland seem to be in much better condition, I was down there today and lots of fun back roads.
Upstate NY is just motorcycle heaven during the riding season.

·
Premium Member
4,023 Posts
I went through cancer treatment back in 17/18. I have neuropathy in my feet, which you would think is a good thing with the cold, but instead they are hypersensitive to touch and to cold. I parked the bikes in early October, and won’t pull them out again until April, probably. 😢

·
Premium Member
4,023 Posts
I worked in Penn. one summer. I didn't like it. Too many 45mph no passing roads. Too many deer. BEARS !
I don't like the snow and cold but no traffic and very nice curvy roads are great.

JJ
PA isn’t that bad, I ride some pretty nice back roads, and very seldom get hassled by the troopers. As long as you’re not showing off in town, and doing the ton on straight stretches you’re generally fine. When I do have some time, I LOVE getting out of PA and heading down to WV.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I got frostbite on both feet in my 20s so I feel your pain (to coin a phrase) with the tender tootsies. They get cold once and they kind of throb until Spring. Also made my feet sensitive to latex, lucky me!
Sounds like you have it much worse, though.
Nertz to the feet, time to go freeze my ass off for the first ride of the year!

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
Very mild winter where we live right now. I'm not complaining though. Could change in the blink of an ...........

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
65 in Antarctica today! What the heck, will that get past the bad language monitoring software?

·
Registered
181 Posts
how are the roads in Antarctica? LOL

I'm looking forward to Sunday-upper 40's and sunshine. My bike's been parked for a week or so due to really crummy weather-no snow, but rainy, windy and pretty chilly-but looking at the weekend I'm thinking I just might almost make my goal of riding at least once a week all winter long this year...

I admit I was kind of jealous the other day when I spotted the BMW "adventure" bike guy that I see from time to time on Jericho Turnpike, riding to work at around 8:30 AM the other day when I think it was in the mid-30's. He's got some kind of light bar contraption on his GS facing forward, must be close to six feet wide with bright yellow fog lights blazing. I've never seen anything like it, and every time I see him coming I think it's a tow truck or a tractor-trailer..and then I'm like "oh, it's that guy..."

·
Registered
55 Posts
We nearly always have mild winters here in the UK, but so far this year its been milder than usual. I wasn't anticipating using any of my bikes until March, but February so far has been good where I live so I've been able to get out on the Thruxton at least 4 weeks early. Having said all that Storm Ciara is due to hit the UK this evening so I doubt there will be any bike riding here tomorrow. :(

·
Registered
415 Posts
We nearly always have mild winters here in the UK, but so far this year its been milder than usual. I wasn't anticipating using any of my bikes until March, but February so far has been good where I live so I've been able to get out on the Thruxton at least 4 weeks early. Having said all that Storm Ciara is due to hit the UK this evening so I doubt there will be any bike riding here tomorrow. :(
It has been pretty mild over here, but don't speak to soon I don't want to tempt fate. I'm the same as you and usually lay my bike up til the beginning of march, I've been keeping a close eye on the weather and keeping my fingers crossed it looks to be mild right up until then.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yup, been pretty mild here recently - even got a ride in on Christmas Day. Gloriously empty roads. Weather patterns have changed and we now get our heavy snowfall in April. 12 degrees celcius here at the moment which would be nice except for storm Ciara. I've lost roofing slates, there's water coming through the roof in the front room, there's a new waterfall feature in the garden and this is my view this morning. I'm at 260 metres above sea level, by the way... Bah, HUMBUG!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Yup, been pretty mild here recently - even got a ride in on Christmas Day. Gloriously empty roads. Weather patterns have changed and we now get our heavy snowfall in April. 12 degrees celcius here at the moment which would be nice except for storm Ciara. I've lost roofing slates, there's water coming through the roof in the front room, there's a new waterfall feature in the garden and this is my view this morning. I'm at 260 metres above sea level, by the way... Bah, HUMBUG!
View attachment 718211
God I don't want snow in April, I don't really want snow at any time of the year. I've seen on the news that Wales is getting a bit of a hammering from this storm today.

·
Registered
28 Posts
God I don't want snow in April, I don't really want snow at any time of the year. I've seen on the news that Wales is getting a bit of a hammering from this storm today.
Oh its loads of fun, honest. I mean, I just love to watch my wife digging at something that isn't me... This is from April a couple, maybe 3, years ago... half a metre overnight! Brought lots of trees down and stopped traffic for a few days before the farm tractors could clear the road as the snowplough couldn't get through - trees, remember.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Oh its loads of fun, honest. I mean, I just love to watch my wife digging at something that isn't me... This is from April a couple, maybe 3, years ago... half a metre overnight! Brought lots of trees down and stopped traffic for a few days before the farm tractors could clear the road as the snowplough couldn't get through - trees, remember.
Yeah I remember when we had that massive 'beast from the east' snow storm about 3 years ago, I thought that was early march though not April? Usual British response though, everything came to a standstill for a couple of weeks because our infrastructure couldn't cope. Don't want another one of them again.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yeah I remember when we had that massive 'beast from the east' snow storm about 3 years ago, I thought that was early march though not April? Usual British response though, everything came to a standstill for a couple of weeks because our infrastructure couldn't cope. Don't want another one of them again.
Yup, that's right... started in March.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Jammin'John,
PA really has a lot of deer although around this area they all get run over. The Poconos are really bad for deer jumping out at you.
For the little 45 MPH roads you can usually do around 60 without garnering any attention.
One nice thing is only the State Troopers have radar guns so as long as you're not going berserk you're in good shape.
The roads in Maryland seem to be in much better condition, I was down there today and lots of fun back roads.
Upstate NY is just motorcycle heaven during the riding season.
I'm on the Tug Hill. tug hill snow - Google Search
I Ride the Adirondacks,St. Lawrence,Finger Lakes,and Southern Tier. Short but AWESOME riding season.

JJ

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Nice today, next week looks kind of wet and dreary but nice weather is coming soon.
I keep tropical reptiles and when the snakes start eating, it's getting close and when the babies are born you KNOW the cold weather is gone.
Babies coming soon, one of the females is in her birthing hideout.

·
Registered
28 Posts
At the risk of this becoming a 'what the weather is doing' thread... This is what the weather is doing here in the Welsh hils. Yesterday was 12 degrees C, a month and half's worth of rain and floods as per previous pikkie. Today is around 3 degrees, floodwater's gone and now it's snowing! The Triumphant Scumbler will be snoozing till March at this rate... YIKES!

21 - 40 of 46 Posts