Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why didn't Triumph call The accessory range "69".
Views and opinions----
Macca. :???: :-D :lollol:

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Hey macca, they should have gone metric 1-8-1!!!!! :-D :lollol:

john

·
Registered
745 Posts
what year were you born?

68 was a much better year than 69 ...the people were still in the streets openly in defiance. RFK and MLK was the turning point.
by 69, the government was shutting it down.

they want to tickle the marketing niche...it had to be 68.
67 was unfocused...68 was the focus.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
G'day Modre.
Born in 47(a good vintage)
I have to disagree about 68 being better than 69,at least on a personnel basis.To SVN in 68,home in 69.I KNOW the best year.
"68 was the focus" ??

Not so sure thats what John and MattTriumphs are on about,could it be something else???? :???: :-D :hihi:
MattTriumphs : I'm not sure my mum(god rest her soul)would understand the question.She knew stuff all about Triumphs :hihi:
See ya Macca.

·
Registered
745 Posts
"68 was the focus" ??
this is American history...68 was when the citizen's revolution focused, almost exposed the money behind the throne crooks in government...they killed some charisma and imported a lot of drugs and we forgot what day it was...

I think it has to do with pushing a "freedom" hot button in Triumph marketing stratagy selling vintage nostalgia.

I have to laugh at the retirement fund company's commercials aimed at the same boomers...lava lamps and Hendrix...people are such whores.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I agree with Modre. '68 was the peak. Following '68 the outlook changed significantly and permantly. Being a '47 guy and actively involved in the alternative culture during that time I guess I think I can attest to some of this. I'll bet that the west coast freaks might argue that the peak occurred earlier. You absolutely had to be there, and involved, to get it. It wasn't all good, though.

Also happened to be the summer I spent in the UK with 2 buddies, riding a Triton and my buddy a Matchless with Norton Atlas engine. oooooohh!
Best time of my life. Love the Brits

Yes, the marketing people have 0% shame and 0% soul. I've seen the marketing ads with lava lamps and listened to the Zombies and Stevie Winwood/Spencer Davis Group and it has only a negative effect on me. Nobody likes being used. They have NO idea what it was about.
The Triumph '68 stuff leaves me flat. I don't see the connection, but love my T100.
Cheers

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I don't know, As another '47 born boomer, I still enjoy hearing Hendrix, Zombies, etc. in any context. Are you suggesting retirement ads with the likes of Justin Timberlake's irritating squeaks as background music?! That would really grab my attention!

Like Maccaoz, I missed much the late 60's because of being in the service (SVN 69-70). And since I've never had the opportunity to convey this to you guys before, As an American, I say thank God for the Aussies, who stood with us then, and continue to, even today.

But, back to bikes...I think everyone is missing the point. If Triumph is going to make tacky, junky motorcycle parts, why not call it the "70's Oil-in-the-Frame" line?

·
Registered
745 Posts
retirement ads with the likes of Justin Timberlake's irritating squeaks as background music?!
If Triumph is going to make tacky, junky motorcycle parts, why not call it the "70's Oil-in-the-Frame" line?

just wait a couple more turns before both come to pass.

my father always swore the Big bands were coming back...I scoffed...then sure enough comes Brian Seltzer and Squirrel Nut Zippers...Zoot Suit Riot.

I wouldn't have believed it had I not seen it for myself.

·
Registered
454 Posts
As another '47 born boomer, I still enjoy hearing Hendrix, Zombies, etc. in any context. Are you suggesting retirement ads with the likes of Justin Timberlake's irritating squeaks as background music?!
Actually, I didn't say that I don't enjoy the sounds; I just don't enjoy marketing people trying to appeal to my limbic system (emotional-type responses) to get me to invest using their company. Editing it so crudely also isn't something that I care for either, now that I think of it. Who's Justin Timberlake???
That would cause me to turn the TV off, not just be annoyed.

Couldn't agree with you more about the Aussies. Probably the culture closest to what we used to be.

On topic, I just don't see the visual relationship between the Triumph '68 products and the function/look of the 60's Brit bikes. I must be missing something.
Cheers

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I concede the point on marketing/manipulation, MoBrit. I'm sure that deep in the bowels of some corporate think tank there are more than a few people clawing their way up the ladder, thinking of ways to connive us out of the last of our life savings by using our memories and associations to things past. Give them some credit. At least they're getting the music right, even when they get so much wrong (lava lamps...come on!).
The same phenomenon is working with the Sixty8 products. That's way there is such a consensus against them on this website. It's apparent that Triumph's designers and marketers of that stuff do not have experience or even a working knowledge of that time period. I can easily imagine a young marketer pitching the idea of a flowered tank cover, saying, "Those old stoners will love this!" What I can't imagine is that there is no one in the Triumph organization to say, "No. No. No!" Maybe we should volunteer our services as technical consultants. If you had the job, what would your suggestions be for aftermarket products for Triumph's classic bikes?

·
Registered
454 Posts
If you had the job, what would your suggestions be for aftermarket products for Triumph's classic bikes?

Good question, rmak. I think that their line of accessories & clothing is reasonably good, althougth the accessory line is a bit thin. If we look at the products that Bella Corse, New Bonneville, Mototwin, Jenks, and others carry we can see that there is a lot of interest. It would be nice if more of these were offered by Triumph, with a more standardized quality. Not that I'm trying to run the owners of these good business out of business.

If you are asking what accessories would particularly represent that time period, I guess that products like the tail rack, gators, tank rack, chrome/SS mudguards of the period would be good. More color options would be nice, also.

I do think that particularly with the standard/T100 Bonnevilles they have done a very good job of keeping the vintage look in a modern motorcycle. While I still prefer the style of the 60's 70's Brit bikes (lighter, thinner, more spartan), I prefer the comfort and reliability of the new Triumphs. I don't mind the oil drips, but don't want the Lucas electronics or Amal carbs.

What would your suggestions be, rmak?

Cheers

[ This message was edited by: MOBRIT on 2007-02-14 20:56 ]

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
G'day Blokes.
Gee you Yanks are a serious mob of buggers.
What with all the "citizens revolution" ,"outlook changed significantly","appeals to my limbic system" I'm depressed!
I think you blokes are short one roo in the top paddock ,if you get my drift.
I bet all the Aussies are p****** themselves .
I still believe in a good ol 69 model.
Onya John & MattTriumphs,there is hope for the world yet.
See ya. Macca :-D
Ya need to check the Smilies.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Maccaoz-Sorry for hijacking your thread and turning it dark and sinister. It's minus two degrees here with three foot snow drifts to dig out of. Maybe that has something to do with my mood. I'll try to lighten up.

My suggestions for 60's style products...How about some pronounced cooling fins for the exhaust pipe like on my old Bonneville. How about some straight exhaust pipes while we're at it. How about a more three dimensional knee pad like on the old bikes. How about more traditional paint schemes available with a swap back program where you could trade in your tank and/or fenders to hold down the cost. Since the basic new Bonnies only have speedometers and idiot lights, how about incorporating them into a headlight, like the old nacelle effect, so you can eliminate the instrument bracket. Finally, how about a fake oil puddle (think rubber dog turd) that you could put under your bike when parked to complete the classic British bike look.

[ This message was edited by: rmak on 2007-02-15 07:30 ]

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
G'day Blokes.
Hay modre,Now your talken,and what a paint job it was.She is still doing OK for a old chook.Must be all that good Aussie tucker.Her bloke is a lousy swimmer tho.
I don't care what any body thinks or says,when I finish working on the Bonnie it will be a 69 model.
rmak---- good ideas on a better range of Triumph stuff,those exhaust pipe clamp fins looked hot on my old 70s chopper.
Keep smiling blokes. :cool:
Macca.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts