Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The old school Triumph 650 tank badges will not fit a Hinckley Bonny tank, will they?

·
Registered
639 Posts
The old school Triumph 650 tank badges will not fit a Hinckley Bonny tank, will they?
RTV silicone will attach anything to just about anything... don't worry about screws and the holes. Cut some philips-head screw heads off with a Dremel and Crazy-Glue them in the holes. DONE!

I've attached metal badges to plastic and steel tanks & side covers this way for years. They will only come off when you want to remove them.

I just use some supermagnets or masking tape to hold the badge in place overnight to cure and 'Bob's yer Uncle!'

Cheers,
BLIGHT

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
639 Posts
Thought that was the case. Wondered about the curves matching too . . .
Good question... I know there are some listers here with both new and old Bonnies. Maybe they could spare 15 minutes and do a curve check?

The 'HONDA' CB750 die cast metal (I think it is zinc) tank lettering is FLAT when you buy replacement pieces you have to gently bend them to fit the tank. I siliconed some (flat) KZ900 metal badges on my '75 Kawasaki H1 Mach III tank. Bent them too, and attached with silicone over 8 years ago. Works great! (see pics below:)

I know the large (old) Triumph 'garden gates' and eyebrow' badges are not easily bendable, so a curve check on a new model tank is the best idea before buying a set. Any Good-Samaritans in the group?

Cheers,
BLIGHT

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Been there, done that. The badges from my '68 did not match the contour on my '07 tank; and I suspect the problem is even worse on the '09 EFI tank.

Dick

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Been there, done that. The badges from my '68 did not match the contour on my '07 tank; and I suspect the problem is even worse on the '09 EFI tank.

Dick
Thanks, that's what I thought. Won't waste my time on that idea anymore.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Donno if this would help, but what I thought was the biggest difference between the vintage harmonica badges and the new ones was the bodacious black gasket. I cut off every part of the gasket but the rhomboid shaped center section. I kept that part to make a black background for the center part of the badge. It looks a lot better to my eye. Here's a picture of just the badge on the tank I took when I was messing around with it sans gasket and how it looks when finished.

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
rmak; rhomboid

Way to go Mak. NEVER thought I`d see THAT in a motorcycle forum !.YOU are the man.LOL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts