Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am feeling like this is probably a dumb question, but I need to ask it. :)

Is it okay to mount a small fork bag in front of the headlight rectifier? Or does the rectifier need clean airflow for some reason? I'm not clear on all the functions of the rectifier, but since it appears to have cooling fins I wanted to make sure that mounting a fork bag in front of it would not cause any problems.

I want to avoid hanging the bag under the rectifier, because doing so would impede airflow to the oil cooler.

Any advice appreciated!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, I appreciate the replies.

I've seen the BC rectifier relocation kit, but read mixed reviews on it so it is not my first-choice solution.

I may just try riding some with the bag blocking the rectifier, and checking frequently to see if it is getting warm. Given that denbow has a fairing blocking the rectifier and has had no issues, I'm optimistic that a small fork bag won't cause any problems.

If I do have any issues with the rectifier being blocked, I'll post here as I imagine this question may come up again. The rectifier area is a logical place for bags, fairings and other accessories.

I also welcome continued replies, as the experience of others is always helpful. Almost every time I log on to this site I learn something--and get the bug to make a mod or buy an accessory. :)

·
Registered
10,267 Posts
My aftermarket MOSFET regulator-rectifier generates no heat at all that I can discern. I didn't notice much heat on the original either. I think that mounting something in front of it wouldn't be a problem.

·
Premium Member
2,363 Posts
Thanks guys, I appreciate the replies.

I've seen the BC rectifier relocation kit, but read mixed reviews on it so it is not my first-choice solution.

I may just try riding some with the bag blocking the rectifier, and checking frequently to see if it is getting warm. Given that denbow has a fairing blocking the rectifier and has had no issues, I'm optimistic that a small fork bag won't cause any problems.

If I do have any issues with the rectifier being blocked, I'll post here as I imagine this question may come up again. The rectifier area is a logical place for bags, fairings and other accessories.

I also welcome continued replies, as the experience of others is always helpful. Almost every time I log on to this site I learn something--and get the bug to make a mod or buy an accessory. :)
That sounds like the way forward. Like you say, you can always take it off again if it does turn out the R/R 's getting too hot.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My gut feeling is that any component designed with cooling fins has said cooling fins for a good reason. I agree that relocating it to a breezy spot is a sound idea.

I cooked the rec/reg on my very first bike (XV250) running up a highway at about 110 for a couple of hours. The resin part where the engineer's magic is set melted into a horrible goo and the bike all but stopped, was running like hell. In fact, that's when I learned what a rec/reg was.

Sent from my iPad using Motorcycle

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Triumph has a recall going on now for some faulty rectifiers on their 675 engines. They overheat and don't properly charge the engine.

The Parabellum Scout fairing on my T100 partly blocks the rectifier, but I haven't had issues and have ridden in temperatures above 112°F. Still, I'd like to see clean air flow to it.

Regards, Chuck

·
Premium Member
3,581 Posts
You might consider replacing it with a more efficient, much cooler one which you can move out of sight completely.

Check out this link.

·
Registered
514 Posts
After reading these posts I think I'll err on the side of safety and drill a pattern of holes along the bottom of the fairing for better air flow.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
You might consider replacing it with a more efficient, much cooler one which you can move out of sight completely.

Check out this link.
Wow, Ruger, that is definitely the best, most elegant solution. Very clean and slick--and it sounds like a more hardy and capable part as well. Unfortunately, I have learned over the years that I should never, ever touch anything to do with 1.) plumbing; 2.) electricity. I will invariably make whatever the original problem was worse than when I started. Perhaps I will ask a trustworthy professional to make that mod for me.

In the meantime, here is my very inelegant, but effective solution to my fork bag blocking the rectifier: I moved the fork bag. Actually, it doesn't look all that bad tucked up between the top of the headlight and the bottom of the instruments. I rode about 50 miles yesterday and it didn't move a millimeter. Until I come up with a better solution, I can live with it. Below is a crude picture, taken on my cell phone.

Also, FYI, when the rectifier was fully blocked by the bag, after 45 minutes of riding it was somewhere between luke-warm and warm. After I moved the bag and rode about the same distance, it was cooler, so IMO I think it is probably best to leave it unblocked. YMMV.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After reading these posts I think I'll err on the side of safety and drill a pattern of holes along the bottom of the fairing for better air flow.
denbow, after my little experiment with temperature of the rectifier blocked vs. unblocked, I think drilling the holes would be a good idea.

It wasn't like the unit was fiery hot after being blocked, but it was enough of a difference that I was uncomfortable with the situation. Due to the length and position of the bag's straps, it was tied tight up against the rectifier and almost fully blocking the front of it, so I think it was a pretty similar situation to your fairing.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Bob D.
I've been having a better look to see to see how much it's restricted by the fairing and it's not as bad as I thought. Half the rectifier is fully exposed and it's 3 inches behind so it gets more air blast than I thought.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts