Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been at the new job for seven weeks. It seems that all the Directors, VPs and even the CEO have me pegged as a enforcer..:eek: There was a surgeon who gave one of my staff a very bad time and even made her cry.

When it was brought to my attention I approached this guy. I was respectful, firm and succinct. I told him that he made one of my staff cry and that my expectation was that he treat my staff with respect. He started to get loud and pointed his finger at me.

Now 10 or 15 years ago I would have grabbed that finger and proceeded......well you got the idea. Instead I told him to lose the finger I find it threatening. Looking this guy square in the eyes he folded the finger up and changed his tune big time. Now you would think I was this guys best buddy or something. There is some kind of weird Alpha dog thing going on. :suspicious:

Now the CEO and Chief of Staff are patting me on the back and giving me praise. :Dang:

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
"Do you feel lucky, punk?"

Enforcer = Dirty Harry = Smith & Wesson 44 Magnum. I've no doubt that the dude respects you :laughhard:.

Way to go Lee!

DaveB.

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
well done Lee - assertive but not aggressive (I always get them confused :D)....

Hey if there's a bully in snr mgt then standing up to him in the way you did is the right way to handle things - glad some of the other mgt see that - though they shouldn't let him get away with the bullying in the 1st place.

Russ

·
Premium Member
14,085 Posts
You told a surgeon to lose a finger ? :eek:

I hope you don't go in for minor surgery and just as you go under the anaesthetic he turns up, leans over you and says, "Remember me Mr Lee ? " I'll bet you'll lose more than a finger !

--------------
Ride on ! ;)

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
You told a surgeon to lose a finger ? :eek:

I hope you don't go in for minor surgery and just as you go under the anaesthetic he turns up, leans over you and says, "Remember me Mr Lee ? " I'll bet you'll lose more than a finger !
haha! You really have your own way of looking at things don't you? LOL.

Lee - a word of advice - just in case, get friendly with the anethetists and nurses :D

Russ

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
haha! You really have your own way of looking at things don't you? LOL.

Lee - a word of advice - just in case, get friendly with the anethetists and nurses :D

Russ
I have 125 nurses that I am in charge of. I made it clear that I am here for them. I told them if anyone is innapropriate I want to know about it, especially if they are threatening. Evidently they were not use to that. For the most part the surgeons are good guys only a few need a walk to the wood shed or to be made into a heavy bag...:D I am enjoying my return to management....:)

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
My father in law says its the anesthetists that keep you alive. The surgeons are just the butchers. He would, he was an anesthetist

·
Registered
815 Posts
Good job, Lee!

We're proud of ya.

We don't have many problems like that (I work ED). I think it is because folks know we solve our problems locally, within the dept.; and our Charge is a guy who will absolutely stick up for us if/when it comes to it. Moreso and better than the dept. managers. Patients or docs, there is a limit and folks know it.

My wife moved up further into management recently at her facility. Told me she sees her job as the buffer protecting all those below her so they can do their jobs undisturbed. That's the way to do it.

Me, I would HATE to be managment. I'll always be a field soldier. :D

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good job, Lee!
My wife moved up further into management recently at her facility. Told me she sees her job as the buffer protecting all those below her so they can do their jobs undisturbed. That's the way to do it.
Thanks Medic...Your wife has the right idea. As a director I feel the same way. If I could not protect my staff I would just return to being staff again.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Guide to the medical profession:

Psychiatrists know nothing and do nothing

GP's and internists know everything and do nothing

Surgeons know nothing and do everything

Ahh, but

Pathologists know everything and do everything -- three days too late!

Congrats on the new job!

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
Thanks Medic...Your wife has the right idea. As a director I feel the same way. If I could not protect my staff I would just return to being staff again.
100% agree guys. It's that attitude that helps make a place good to work in and engenders loyalty (both ways up and down).

Glad you're enjoying the new role Lee.

Russ

·
Premium Member
17,294 Posts
The guy in that video should serve time. He need to grow the heck up, too. I didn't put up with tantrums like that from my kids when they were toddlers, precisely because I didn't want them turning into adults who'd do that sort of thing. Pathetic.

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The guy in that video should serve time. He need to grow the heck up, too. I didn't put up with tantrums like that from my kids when they were toddlers, precisely because I didn't want them turning into adults who'd do that sort of thing. Pathetic.
Believe it or not there have been surgeons that have behaved in that manner scattered through out the US. I have every intention of dragging anyone acting in that manner to the security department for a police pick up.

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
Now 10 or 15 years ago I would have grabbed that finger and proceeded......well you got the idea. Instead I told him to lose the finger I find it threatening. Looking this guy square in the eyes he folded the finger up and changed his tune big time.
Why be openly vengeful...

Sugar + Gas tank = Retribution... :Devil3:

All jokes aside, I'm looking for another position because of similar "jerks" in my current organization. In my military days, I would have put these guy in their place (because I would have been the same rank) but now, I'm somewhat powerless, unless I leave. Then, People start to wonder why...

That's when I get to let 'em have it...

I'm expecting an offer in a few days...

What can I say. The military has it's share of egos... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I think it's because he rides a Triumph. A Rocket III rider demands respect.........

It's all about them having a feeling of self importance. Good job, gotta stand up for your people.

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think it's because he rides a Triumph. A Rocket III rider demands respect.........

It's all about them having a feeling of self importance. Good job, gotta stand up for your people.

RT your right and we all know it is all about the Rocket.....:D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts