Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am prompted to write this post after mentioning a duck incident my wife and I had a few months back.

http://www.triumphrat.net/sprint-forum/69817-duck.html:eek:

I also have a seagull story which is funny for another time, but personally I have unintentionally put to death thousands of bugs, butterflies, locusts, bees and wasps and huge dragonflies (I got a 4" long one stuck alive in my helmet once), also several small birds and parrots that have hit me in the shoulders or helmet and died instantly.

Hopefully The Don will retell his Buzzard story here:)

So I know we have a lot of road riders here with many years riding experience what have YOU it?:confused:

DaveM

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
You sure you didn't start the ride out with the parrot sitting on yer shoulder? :HappyRoll:

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Besides the occasional firehydrant every once in awhile I think the best thing I've hit is the occasional flying bug.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
A pheasant on my '01, he hit me in the chest and almost knocked me off the bike, in the passing lane at 70 MPH

A house cat on my '06, killed the f%@#er and he cost me a $400 fairing panel...

denoose

·
Banned
2,152 Posts
I "hit on" a hot looking girl the other day but once I took off my helmet she told me to "Bugger off you old man".

·
Registered
74 Posts
a 2Meter (6Ft) Goanna (Lace Monitor) right between Sofala and Ilford.
Then..on the Bylong road... an Angry Red Belly snake , head up and rearing to have a crack as I went over it. Had my knees up over my head. All on the same day.:eek:

·
Registered
8,112 Posts
I ran over a brown snake at 120kph (similar to Sidi's). Lifted my feet up as it curled up in the middle to greet me.

My wife was on the back and didn't know about it until we stopped :eek:

·
Registered
191 Posts
In 2004 I was riding down a Kansas two lane road and a Pheasant was on the left shoulder looking to cross in front of me when a Robin flew out of the bushes on my right and committed suicide on the top of my helmet as I tried to duck him.

The funny part was I noticed some strange looks from people in on coming cars and when I pulled into a gas station I really got looked at. When I pulled off my helmet I found out why. There was blood with feathers stuck on my helmet and it really looked nasty. So I filled up and pulled back out with the mess still on my helmet and it got even funnier since I knew what people were looking at as I tooled down the road. Look out, I'm a badass bird killin' biker!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Roadduster2

·
Registered
40 Posts
I hit a deer one evening near San Mateo, CA. It jumped out of a hedge smack in front of me. I was only doing about 35 at the time and a giant handful of brakes slowed me down enough that the deer was able to get up and run away. I went down, sprained the left side of my body and left a trail of broken bits from the bike.

Lucky I was fully leathered up - the guy riding 10 feet in front of me was sporting a wind breaker, swim trunks and flip flops. He'd have been one big road rash.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Hitting a Turkey Vulture at 45 mph

Or why I LOVE my MRA screen.
Hit the Buzzard head on and took him/her??? at the base of the screen. I was topping a rise on a road that was like a roller coaster. I saw it coming last second and ducked and watched the screen bend down almost flat and the side wings flex and pull in. The screen vaulted the B1RD up and it hit me on the helmet and ricocheted off somewhere.

To this day there isn't one scratch on the screen. Any other and it would have broken like a sheet of ice. Especially a Z/G.

On the job this is nothing. My boss the CEO calls me the bird magnet:D.
Satisfied Davie:p

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I'll try NOT to bore you too much......

A Suzuki Swift, driven by a very hot 17 yr old girl.....

A Kerb (x3)

A Ford Iveco 7.5 Tonne Lorry (truck)

A 75 year old man.yes, really,

A nurse, female, in a Renault 5

A roundabout, and Kerb

A "White Van man" in London..followed by a Bollard (road furniture)

Those are the memorable ones.......as an ex MotorBike courier

except........ the most memorable, and horrific was at age 17, when I hit my Newsagents ( like a Smoke shop, with papers n magazines) plate glass window, my Suzuki ended up in his aisle, I ended up outside on the pavement ( sidewalk) and since he was my stop on the way to woek each day, he very calmly came outside and asked me if I wanted to pick up my weekly edition of Motorcycle Weekly ( better than Motorcycle News)..........I was VERY impressed, seeing as how I just destroyed his 1000 pound (money) plate glass window!!!

All the above, with the exception of the Newsagents and the roundabout, were NOT my fault, and I did get compensated.........after a wee while!!!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
A bird went through my front wheel once, a spoked wheel, it was like he just blew up, took forever to clean that up. Hit a dog once, at the last moment I veered off, he bounced around down the side of the bike, I wobbled a little, we were both OK.

·
Registered
218 Posts
small gator (about 26") on the flat straights, near Everglades National Prk

squirrel in the twisties last week...

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Frider Frider Frider..................I should have said "animals or insects" shouldn't I!:D

Apart from my other hits already noted I have also run over a 3.5 metre carpet snake (python) in 1985 coming home on my then gravel road in the dark..........bush on either side and the head and tail were both in the bushes one on either side!

I had my boots on the cylinder heads!

DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
240 Posts
Was on the back of my mates Goldwing ( first of the model. Showing my age now! ) going for a test ride and went through a flock of Galahs. He ducked but i wasn't quick enough and wore one right at the top of my visor which luckily deflected the bird over the top of my head. Sore neck for a day or two. Travelling at 180ks/hr so lucky it didn't get me in the middle of the face. I have always worn full face helmets from then on.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts