Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok thats it...After talking to stuckinkansas on triumph chat it came to me! Why am I about to spend close to 9 grand on speedy!? What will it get me...Faster bike? One off?Better handling? I think alll those things are possible but is it worth it? How do you gage that worth? Smiles and miles?
Sometimes second guessing myself realy sucks. Would I be better off spending my hard earneds on another more powerfull more exotic bike like a 1098? Or aprilla? Or is the knowing that I put all this effort and money into something to make it more of what it is but not maybe what it was meant to be a good thing? Ok guys help me or its devorce time again! Speedy is the best all around bike I have ever owened even better than my gsxr so why fu** with it. Any answers?sean..

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Any bike is a starting point. I personally know of no one who buys a bike and rides it stock unless they're a complete newb. And even then it only takes nine months or so before they're fiddlin' with it.

So... you can buy that 10-9-8 and start with a better bike. And also start with a $5000 larger hole in your bank account. On top of that $14,999 or whatever, you're STILL gonna spend many more thousands on everything from different grips or carbon fiber bodywork or a new set of cans to a bigger bore kit (or whatever some hotshot company comes up with). And Duc stuff ain't cheap. What would take you nine grand for the Triumph is gonna cost ya 12 or 13 to do to the Duc.

And you'll still need routine maintenance, tires, etc.

It's your money, man.

In the end, it's just a matter of what bike is gonna make ya happier.

·
Registered
700 Posts
On 2006-12-19 16:09, aptech77 wrote:
agree
+1
Don't watse money turning the S3 into something it isn't, especially when you can get what you want to make it into for less money.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Okay guys, I never talked Orca into anything! Orca, turbo that sucker and embarass any ducati! Same money (close), and it will be cooler than any N/A bike can be. Quick poll: what would make you all more jealous? A turbo 1050, or a 1098 like the next 1098? Plus it shows that you might be playin' with more than just money! :-D

·
Registered
979 Posts
In my opinion my Speedy has enough power and handles superb for my riding capabilities.If you want more power mod it,if you don't why worry.How fast can you legally go on the road anyway?Up to the individual i guess.I know a lot of people who do all the engine mods on their bikes and i say to them,Yeah but can you use it.Most of them can't. :-D :hammer:

·
Registered
969 Posts
I will not sell speedy for another bike. It's perfect for what I want. I plan on doing a few mods to personalize it, but not much. I do plan on a track bike purchase that will be just that, a track bike.
Speedy's got what I need. Ton's of fun plenty of manueverabilty and speed for the street and killer head turning looks. I even got some compliments form the neandrathals (SP I know) at the local harley shop.

Buy somthing else if you want somthing else. It'll cost a lot more to make somthing you have into something you want.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Biggest mods I have done to my S3 where TORS, MAP, Setup stock suspension, bar end mirrors, frame sliders, rear fender eliminator kit and very sticky tires.

It would be nice to have a few more horsepower, but for the cost it is easier for me to loose some of my winter fat and increase HP to Weight ratio by losing 15 plus lbs. LOL

I am a firm believer that if you have a great bike like the S3, you are better off in increasing your rider skills, A great rider on a good bike will always beat and inferior rider on a better bike. Ridings Skills are your biggest edge!

Save some of that money and buy another bike, go on vacation, invest it or do something practical. That's is what I am doing. When the new S3 comes out in 2008 or 2009 I will trade my 05 then.

Ton Up! :cool:

·
Registered
276 Posts
Assuming that insurance cost is a non factor, does it really matter. You can buy a S3 or a Duc 1098 and you will be on only one of the road with one. They duc has a long earned street cred, and speedy earns more everyday, but if you can't ride then all that is out the door.

To each his own.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Same here, love the bike, a great all rounder just like the Lc's of yesteryear.
A few mods being done over winter just to personalise it.

·
Registered
591 Posts
F#ck all that.

Get 5 high class call girls, a suite at the Venetian, and 5 gallons of baby oil. Buy yourself an experience, and susequent story, that nobody will ever top.

"Bench race this, @sshole. I banged 5 slippery call girls in Vegas for a week! But hey, don't get me wrong.... That IS a nice GSX-R front end swap...." :roll:

·
Registered
338 Posts
Go ahead and spend your hard earned dough on the Duc. If you ride it enough eventually you will find out what I and other previous Duc owners all know. You have to be Donald Trump to afford the maintenance bill. Or you can stay with the speedy and enjoy a fatter wallet. Besides I post faster times on all mountain roads on a speedy than I ever did on my Duc. And the speedy was a borrowed on, now that I have my own, watch out!!!!

·
Registered
219 Posts
On 2006-12-20 05:13, Calitriple wrote:
F#ck all that.

Get 5 high class call girls, a suite at the Venetian, and 5 gallons of baby oil. Buy yourself an experience, and susequent story, that nobody will ever top.

"Bench race this, @sshole. I banged 5 slippery call girls in Vegas for a week! But hey, don't get me wrong.... That IS a nice GSX-R front end swap...." :roll:
5 high class Vietnamese call girls, a turbo, and a speed triple still is less than the cost of the Duc. Especially if you go to one of those places where you can see the Hepetitis dripping from the walls.

+1 on improving skills and really learn to tap into the potential of the Triple. Tapping that won't make you itch.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Just let me know if you need help on that turbo kit at all;) I've built 5 kits already for friends cars. Take a little more work on a bike I'm sure but it's doable :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts