Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I ve just purchased a 2001 ST 11042 miles. I love the bike. Handles great, quick and pretty comfy pure stock as far as I can tell and the previous owner got it with 6800 miles, so its stock. So Im doing my pre buy inspection and I pull the oil cap to check the levels and to feel the oil for any forgien matter. The cap does not have a dip stick. Is this common to this model? The owners manual shows a dip stick attached but mine hasent got one. I took a piece of cardboard and removed the oil so I could inspect it. But how will I maintain the levels without a dipstick. The bike does have a sight glass on the bottom of the clutch housing but I find that to be a bit unreliabe. Do I just need to order a dipstck. Or did it not have one from the start?

Not so dumb question: Is there a way to find out by the vin # if all the recall work has been preformed. Like a website. The previous owner kept Great Maint Records but I dont see the work specificly being done in them. The most recent work was an oil change and fuel line connecters in Feb 2011

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
As a general rule, bikes have either a sight glass or a dipstick, and the Sprints are no exception. '93-'98 had a dipstick, '99-'01 had a sight glass, '02 and newer are back to dipsticks.

The VIN check is here: http://www.triumph.co.uk/uk/7094.aspx

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Be aware the fuel connector recall does NOT replace the much more dangerous one IN the Tank......best to replace it with a metal quick connect 'afore it breaks/leaks petrol all over your frame

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
So Frider, or others, would you please elaborate a bit about the connector IN the tank?
What parts does it connect? how is it accessed?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts