Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Waaay back last fall when I first picked up my '03 Sprint I had a list of what I wanted to do after riding her for a few. Well, I'm first now getting around to posting everything that happend over winter. Here's a short list and its inpact on the bike;

RKA touring screen-very nice, stock screen hit the trash
Garmin Nuvi 205W (hardwired on with Powerlet kit)- I've always loved GPS, this unit rocks
Seargent seat- mainly just for longer trips, very nice
Heated grips (Triumph)- easy to install, not too warm though
O-ring cruise control- best $3.39 you'll spend for touring
Fork mods-Race Tech springs, 450cc's 10w oil -Do this!
Bridgestone BT-021's great tires for the sprint
Crushing miles on this thing...priceless!

·
Registered
837 Posts
Got a pic of your GPS installation? Did you install?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used a ram mount ball -base with the specified cradle for the Nuvi. Nothing to it. The Powerlet kit goes right to the battery.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm 5'8''. Its the RKA touring screen. Its not really that much taller, it just has a flip on the end. As for the BT-021's I don't really see a weakness with them. I'll have to wait and see how long they last.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Don>>

I'm using the BT 021's at the moment, and while they are generally fine, just be prepared for the random slide. These tend to occur completely out the blue on perfect roads.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I tried the 021s and have found them to be OK: some minor, but no "Oh sh*t!" slippage (and no "random slides" yet for me!), and they seem to be wearing well... much better than the OEM 020s we all thoroughly enjoyed! I'm undecided on getting them again, though. My brother is running Pilot Road 2s on his 'Tona 955i and likes them a lot, so they might be my next choice. Also to consider are the Dunlop Roadsmarts: one of my buddies recently put them on his bike and he's very happy with them. Too many choices...

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I'll ride on 'em until they wear out or I just don't like them anymore. I'll report at the end of their life. I'm doing a trip to Colorado in June, so the mountains will be a good tourture test.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update!

Ok, I'll only post this because the riding season is winding down, and I have a few more extras added to the bike. First off, the BT-021's have almost 6k on them and look and ride great. I still have no complaints with them at all. I hit my boots/pegs every so often, so take from that what you will. The big news is getting the TOR stainless exhaust with tune installed. Very nice with a bump in sound and power. The power band seems wider, and it definetly revs alot quicker then before. All I have to do this winter is send the rear shock to Race Tech for a respring and she's done!

·
Registered
8,112 Posts
I hit my boots/pegs every so often, so take from that what you will.
You've got big feet? :D

Glad that the mods are going well. Each to their own with the tyres IMO, guess that that is why they make a selection. :)

FWIW I am running PP 2CT front and PP rear and think that the combination suit the bike well (for me).

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Slackers can't start another tire thread.

Waaay back last fall when I first picked up had a list of what I
RKA touring screen-very nice, stock screen hit the trash

Fork mods-Race Tech springs, 450cc's 10w oil -Do this!

Bridgestone BT-021's great tires for the sprint

Welcome to the Grope a er a Group

·
Premium Member
2,257 Posts
FWIW, when I took my Ducati to the (independent, highly-respected locally) mechanic last weekend, he was saying that he thought that the Bridgestone BT016's currently offered the best price/performance for everything except track-days. That was based on Bridgestone currently having them on sale at very attractive prices.

DaveM, I've got PP's on the Duc and like them too. I'm going to need something on the Sprint soon; but I ride it mostly 2-up, so it is likely to be the Roadsmarts.

·
Premium Member
24,382 Posts
Coroja I have not sampled the Roadsmarts but have heard nothing but high praise in all areas.

I do not like bike mag reports much on tyres as I have found too often their experience is quite different to mine, which could in part be a riding style issue.

The BT 015's the predecessor to the new BT 016 was not dissimilar to the BT 020 in that it had a habit of letting go without warning.
I do not know a lot about the newer BT 016 apart from what mags say.
I have a very close friend with these on his Kawasaki Z 600 (636) and he couldn't get rid of them quick enough.

So far there have been not a few reports here of the BT 021's also having the same bad habit as the 020's when pushed a bit hard on a less than perfect surface.

I am personally a pretty big fan of Bridgestone race tyres but not so fond of the Sports and sports touring offerings by them.

DaveM

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Update!

Ok, because its winter I'll fill everyone in on a few more mods done since fall. First my dealer found me a TOR stainless exhaust, which I did get to ride with before the snow hit, and really like. I thought the bike had good torque before the off road tune, now its even better. What I'm really excited about is getting my reworked rear shock back from Race-tech. At the same time I completed the 24k service, which went well considering I have not had my hands in the motor yet. The only snag was the getting the valve cover gasket back on correctly.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
final update...

Ok, here's the last update to this saga. I got my shock back from Race-Tech and finally got to ride with it. As a reference they installed the gold valve kit and changed the fluid, not to mention replacing some of the seals that were damaged from me not having a hugger in there for protection. The difference is quite big from what the bike was like before. I made several stops to make some minor tweaks, but RT was pretty close out of the box. So after about 200 miles of riding, I'm very satisfied. I did install the Triumph hugger to protect the reworked shock as well. Sorry this only took an entire winter to complete, but its worth it now.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts