Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i am pretty well set on the S3 as the way to go.....i only have a limited amount of money....i was hurt on the job and have a nice chunk of money coming in but after that i need to get my a$$ in college......anyhow enough of that....i have enough coming in to pay cash....my question is would you get a bike a couple years old and put the few thousand extra into mods you wanted or buy the brand new bike........I had heard that there were issues with the brakes prior to the brembos being added in 08.......i had originally wanted white but my local dealer does not have any new.....here is what he has to say........"...I only have one 2009 in stock at this time and it is Matt Black. The 2009's are going for $11,909. I do have a 2007 demonstrator model that I am selling as a pre-owned bike, but has never been titled. It is white and in perfect shape and I will be selling this one for $8,800....this guy sounds high as gas to me....or as gas was lol.....i do sort of like the black....what could i expect to pay for an 09 in reality or a new 08.....and what is your opinion on preowned.....i cannot afford to have this in the shop as this will be my primary transportation for awhile....I live in northwest Arkansas by the way...thanks

·
Registered
57 Posts
My advice is to get to as many dealers as you can. You have to shop around and get several prices.
With this economy you should be able to find some good deals. Check E- bay for prices. Seems like the dealers use E- Bay as a last resource for bikes that don't sell.

·
Registered
402 Posts
The brakes on pre '08's are great, don't believe the hype! If money is an issue go for used there are lots of good deals out there plus if it is demo then dealer should have already taken care of first service(oil change).:D

·
Registered
844 Posts
It looks like you have quite a distance to travel if you plan on buying a new one at a dealer. If you do plan on buying a brand new one, the dealer's reputation when it comes to support and service will likely weigh heavily in the decision. Even if buying a used one, this is a major consideration. But I know at my local dealer (RPM in Belleville, IL), their business has all but dried up due to the economy and winter season. I could probably buy one of their '09 Speed Triples at MSRP out the door but I'd certainly pay MSRP ($11,299) plus two or three hundred because they are awesome when it comes to service. $11,909 is way too much though. Good luck in finding your Speedy. :)

·
Registered
402 Posts
BTW forgot to add the best dealer for our area is Eldorado Springs MO they are about the same distance as Little Rock but way better.

I have a buddy that is looking to sell a nice older S3 in Fayetteville.

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
I'm a firm believer in buying used but well maintained bikes. I think there is more value in a used bike. I've purchased 4 bikes in the last 4 years. 3 used. Not one of the used bikes has given me an ounce of trouble. It also helps to buy a bike already modded, saves big on cash.

·
Registered
191 Posts
....I had heard that there were issues with the brakes prior to the brembos being added in 08....

Yeah....brakes that allow you to do "stoppies" aren't nearly powerful enough. Ive rode both, and I cant tell much of a difference. If anything I actually found the Brembos just a little jumpy. The Nissin on the 07 are smooth and VERY powerful.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The switch to Brembos was probably more of a PR move than a necessary upgrade.

There were some brake problems with early 1050s (2005 models) where they would start to feel squishy after very little use. It was an engineering problem that was fixed for 2006 and up but the tales of bad brakes didn't die and became a permanent black mark, earned or not.

And it's a shame, because the gold Nissin calipers really look great.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
good to hear

that is good to hear about the brakes.....lol it would be nice to get a bike that you didnt have to wait through the break in period......i am keeping my eyes open on ebay and stuff.....seeing what these bikes are going for.....thats part of the reason i do not think i could bring myself to pay the almost 12k this dealer is asking...then you have TTL fees......that would be 13,500 or better:eek:......when i could get into one a couple years old for around 8000.....everything included.....lol i am starting to convince myself.....i have seen some good prices online though.....if something just happens to come along at the right time:D I would love to have brand new....warranty and knowing every scratch was mine but i might enjoy it more and be less anal if i bought used lol....anyhow thanks for the replies.....by the way Shaunlee what year and color is your buddies bike???

·
Registered
402 Posts
It's a Black '98 with D&D pipes and some other mods in very good shape.
I can tell that you have spoken with the dealer in our state. When I bought mine from Elorado Springs it was below MSRP with no extra charges out the door. I know some of the guys in Little Rock and they are fine but not much on cutting any deals.

·
Banned
557 Posts
Believe it or not the matte black is RARE and might hold its value slightly better....might. But they ARE very rare.

My dealer wanted something like $13,800 out the door with all fees for my 2009...haggled for an hour or so and said the manager won't go any lower. I gave him my cell number and told him to call if anyhting changes. I can't BELIEVE I walked out because I wanted that bike so F-ing BAD!!!

Low and behold, the next day they called. Said what can they do to earn my business. I told them $12K out of the door...period. That's a dam good deal for here in southern Cali. Well it happened. I wound up paying a little extra for GAP insurance.

This economy is sooo bad, you will get what you want. patience and play hardball.

I agree, more value in a used bike that was taken care of perfectly. But no sports bike is going to be UN-abused. I prefer new so I know it was broken in PERFECTLY, start off with a clean slate, and enjoy the full 2 year warranty.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
yeah

the guys are plenty nice...ive been in there a few times....but their sticker is what they sell it for.....or that seems to be the case...

low volume dealer i guess.....i will check out el dorado springs.......i have a couple weeks to wait for my money so i will be looking everywhere..

..it is a shame to see all these bikes getting sold with practically no miles....just past the break in and they are selling them....

....how crucial is a good break in on the S3??? I would hate to get one that got rode hard and put away wet because someone could not wait

through the break-in and end up having problems because of it.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah most people tend to go that direction.....and do not have any problems.....

...lol it just all comes down to buying someone elses problem and you never know what you are getting

.....i have not owned a vehicle that didnt die on me yet....except my nissan maxima and my friends wrecked it

......i have wanted to get a bike forever and i am just saying screw it....the motor is likely out in my vehicross but i dont care

.....i am getting an S3 lol so what if its my only vehicle in winter hehe

·
Registered
402 Posts
The 1050 motor is very reliable and solid, as long as someone has changed the oil regularly and had the valve clearance checked every 12k you should be fine. Ask for dealer records but not everyone has that as a lot of folks do their own service. Try to get a ride if you can and watch for the normal stuff ask about scratches and what not, be leery of frame damage if paint is chipping on frame welds walk away.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks for all the help guys.....

my money wont be here til about the 7th of Jan

that gives me time to look..... if i cant find a screaming deal

on a new model i will go used.... hehe that

will just give me cash for a project bike...

or something with 4 wheels that runs....

ooooohhh i can get my mig welder then hehehe

and make a dwarf truck that can pull a motorcycle trailer

with a triumph rocket motor hehehe *EWG*:D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts