Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So here I was a couple of weeks ago when we were still above freezing, and I decided it was time to wash the bike up real good, take it out for one final ride, and put it to bed for the winter. Well I had neglected the chain a little so I figured on to the stand and I'll get it real good and clean. A little over agressive I now realize and when I was looking at it this week I noticed the dreaded red dust. Not just a little, but in numerous places all along the rollers. So I guess it is new chain time for me, and was wondering what brands everyone has had success with or even more important which ones to definately avoid.
I guess not all is lost as now I get to buy a new tool. Any suggestions on chain break / rivot combos?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Mate there is no need to replace the chain, just clean it up and really lube it over with some decent chain wax or if you laying her up a slathering of grease, I have to use my bike every week throughout winter and she sits in work from getting in on monday to leaving on friday (I am a long distance trucker), if the ride in is wet in winter the chain shows rust by friday, just clean and relube, all will be well.

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
I had no idea having a rusty motorcycle chain produced idiocy. :eek: Guess I'd better go outside to my bikes and see if I've succumbed to the gravitational pull of stupidity...again. And all along I thought I could blame my cretinism on my parents. :D

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well it isn't rust it is the dreaded red dust of the seals on the chain being compromised. Here is a link to a website of what is happening. See failure analysis about half way down the page. http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/motorcycle/how_to/mc_chains.html I don't have any pictures of my actual cain right now, but can if needed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts