Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK all, huge problem....I went to the local dealer today to look at the Street Triple. so got there, sales rep, super nice guy, and VERY knowledgeable about the bikes.... So heres the problem, I sat on it and yeah, I FREAKING LOVE IT!!! Man Im hooked... My wife is gonna kill the guy for letting me sit on it cause im hooked..... Freaking nice bike! Now just gotta sell mine! Just felt like throwing is out there!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why don`t you just trade yours in on it? :)
Cause im an idiot and thought i needed a 250 for my first bike and a new one at it. so yeah wont be able to trade that in. gonna have to sell it. If i could trade it, i would in a heartbeat!

·
Registered
19 Posts
+1... U do need a 250 as a first bike. U would be an idiot to start off on a Triple... How long have you been riding?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I rode the piss out of my baby Ninja before I got my Street, and I'm really glad I did. That little bike let me learn so much that I would have been intimidated to try on a New $12,000 way more powerful bike. I did however pick up my Ninja used for $1,700 and will be able to sell it next Spring for nearly the same:)

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
My wife is gonna kill the guy for letting me sit on it cause im hooked.....
Could be worse. Just bought an '09 R. When the previous owner went to pick it up...and his wife found out just exactly how much he paid for his new bike...she got in the car and drove away...left him at the dealership...no helmet...no jacket...in Ohio...in March. :D They're still married...but I've got the bike.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I had a Honda Rebel 250 for 5+ years. Outgrew it pretty quickly, but it was great to learn on and I am glad it was my first bike.

Now here is a story to laugh it up about. Bought a 2010 street triple after not riding (the rebel) for 8 years. Had it for about 8-months and traded it in for an America cause I just couldn't get comfortable on it, confidence-wise. Road the America for a year and got bored, but the similar position to a rebel helped with confidence and getting back my riding skills. Hopped back on a triple and felt worlds more comfortable after a year on the America...and you guessed it, just traded it and picked up a '12 street triple. Sure I lost some cash, but there is something to be said for "working up" to the triple IMHO. I'm sure there are folks that can jump on it as a first bike and be fine, I just wasn't one of them.

But you're right, it's an absolutely sick bike.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Cause im an idiot and thought i needed a 250 for my first bike and a new one at it...
Like most everyone else I disagree with the above. (except perhaps for the new part...). The agility, the fuel economy and most of all the forgiveness is something that you'd never get on a larger bike. So wherever stupid is; your on the exact opposite of that spectrum.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you nick. Got into riding this summer. Took a course, with some of the guys ever, in Calgary. Bought a 2010 Ninja 250R used for 3200 earlier this month. I've ridden it every day for the last 2 weeks and I'm already looking to upgrade. I've had my eye on the Street Triple all year, and now that I have some respect for riding and the power that is available to you, I'm looking to buy one. Even better now that there are some deals to had.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Dude, if you rode 250r for two weeks, your respect for riding isn't gonna do jack...You need to build serious skills, and that takes tons of time and practice...

Folks, come back after a season of serious riding on a 250, with 5K+ miles and without chicken strips... You will be much better riders for it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
That is why I took the course. In the time I've been on the 250, I've got about 2000 km on it, since that is pretty much all I do all day. I went out riding with my instructors from the school, and they said that I was looking ready to upgrade. Confident on the bike with no problem leaning the bike over at any speed. Short of heading to the track, I'm not sure what else I can do on this bike. I still plan on getting another 1500 km on the 250 before making the jump up, but I'd rather get the ST3 at the end of season than next year at full pop. Maybe I'm way off, but I feel good about that route I've taken. I know a guy, took the course with me, who went from a 250 to a GSXR750 in less than a month and is rock solid on it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
HAHA yeahI have been riding about two months on the street but i grew up on dirt bikes. I guess i really didnt think about 40-50 in the dirt feels a lot different than 40-50 on the street. I did the class after i bought the bike (dumb move) cause i prob would have went bigger right away as I was pretty much instantly comfortable with the power within a few days. I grew up on dirt bikes and down hill mnt bike racing so I was pretty naturally comfortable on two wheels. I also didnt mention in my first post, my commute recently has changed a bit, I now may not be able to carpool to LA with my wife every day and will possibly have to start heading out to Palmdale and to San Diego from OC. So doing that on a 250, not the best ride.

As far as the power, I am not to worried about that, road my friends F800 (i know not as much power as the ST3 but close) and I was fine. (did about 50 miles).

I do really regret buying new though thats for sure......

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
It's such a fun road-burner. I'm a retired guy and have owned motorcycles since 1967. I easily have double the mileage on my STR in a riding season compared to previous bikes I have owned, so that says it all. It currently has 21,000 kms after 2 years. Changed a few items for better comfort and ergos, and it has been stone reliable with normal maintenance. - Wayne :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Guess I'm an idiot. Picked up my str in march and have logged about 7000 miles as my first bike. Love it!

Sent from my DROIDX using Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 45 Posts