Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

61 - 64 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #61 (Edited)
Thanks folks.
Who knows here in the states
where to buy Whitworth open- end wrenches. (Holding placing of order)

Looking online seem to be a few, but I want to make sure I get a good set.
~Pat

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #62 (Edited)
OK a few Whitworths arrived today, but is it enough?
Dowidat Sockets 12pt
13/16W
11/16W
5/8W
1/2W
1/8W

Dowidat Whitworth Openend Wrenches
1", 7/8th
9/16", 1/2" 7/16" 3/8th
5/16" 1/4"
3/16"
3/16ths" 1/8th
3/32" 1/16th
what else do I need in this department to work on the 1964-74 Triumphs?

Thanks

·
6,491 Posts
Hi Pat,

what ... do I need in this department to work on the 1964-74 Triumphs?
You sure about buying 'em all in one go when you've just the one bike? Strictly-speaking would be two different sets of wrenches and sockets, in AF for ~'67-'74 and British Standard (= US "Whitworth") for '64~'70 (the "~" and the overlap aren't mistakes).

As I posted for you before, the vast majority of '69 (-'74) fasteners are Unified threads, as I say requiring AF sockets and wrenches. Depending on the other parts you buy as your build progresses, you might run across British Standard fasteners, but an educated guess says most of what you've listed will remain pristine for years ...

As you're buying most (all?) tools new, are you sure you wouldn't be better off buying at least the sockets that are those tightly-enclosed collections of small-diameter rods? When pressed on any hex. it displaces rods as required, the remainder grip the hex. tightly? Another reason I suggest this is, if you give up on the project, or take on a more-modern bike, all the expensive tools listed in your post immediately turn into ornamental dust collectors. :(

Whichever way you decide to go, and irrespective of the year, the vast majority of fasteners used have shank/male thread OD of 1/2", 7/16", 3/8", 5/16", 1/4" and ~3/16" (2BA). Corresponding "Whitworth" sizes marked on wrenches are 1/16" smaller but will only fit if the threads are British Standard (Cycle, BSF and BA).

So, ime the Sockets you've listed - apart from "1/8W" - could see little or no use; similarly the same-size wrenches. :( The "little ... use" is if you use pre-'70 wheels, "no use" if you use '70-on, the latter need AF wrenches. Also fwiw, I buy 'combination' wrenches - ring and open-end of the same size - because I only use an open-end if socket or ring don't fit; ime, use an open-end a lot and the jaws 'spring' apart and you're more-likely to round a hex. :(

The most-used corresponding AF sizes are 11/16", 5/8", 9/16", 1/2", and 7/16", with 3/4", 19/32", 3/8" and 5/16" nice-to-have. Things like forks and wheels need larger around 1" AF, but it depends on having those forks 'n' wheels ...

Hth.

Regards,

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Thanks StuartMac. I bought the set used, so no big issue there, I do agree with you as to buy those things needed, lol, but when one doesn't know and lves out in the woods lie I do, that can hang me up for a while.
I have all American standard wrenches and sockets in the shop, so I just grabbed this set of Whitworth wrenches and sockets.

I know as you and others pointed out i need various pullers.
But as I asked for now just wondering if there was any other size wrenches I might need.
Thanks as always.
~Pat

61 - 64 of 64 Posts