Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
DSCN2478.jpg
Thanks Joe, I'll shoot you some pictures in a little bit (COFFEE), lol
Thanks for everything and covering what my best choices are, this helps me gain more knowledge going into a rebuild.

I build and restore Wood/Canvas canoes, so I agree the completed restoration is the joy, as well as the process of it.
Thanks Joe.

I'll shoot you an email now and load what pictures I have to you.
~Pat
Hi 69Bonneville58,
I'm in the process of restoring a 97 yr old wood and canvas canoe at the moment. It's and Old Town Yankee model.

Sorry to take your thread off topic!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,534 Posts
When shipping an engine, I use a heavy duty plastic tote from Home Depot with a sheet of 1/4" plywood in the bottom, and pack it tightly with stiff foam and cardboard. Zip tie the lid and ship it FedEx Ground, less than $1 / pound.

If you have an account (worth it, for free), you can book it online and have it picked up, and still save money vs UPS or USPS.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Great Info, Thanks I'll let them know.
I can set up the account and pay for it
and have them ship it.
Great, Thanks

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Whats a fair price on the Top crown and middle stem for my T100 frame
or for that matter a complete fork assembly.

I realize condition wavers the price, but just trying to get an idea.
~Pat

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Thanks GrandPaulZ

For I was seeing them for allot more
learning now to stay ahead of the game
life is learning from making mistakes
but some days I just want to be out of the class room

·
Super Moderator
12,534 Posts
E-bay searches can be hard due to people calling them "yolks", "triple trees", "crowns" and any number of things besides the correct name, which is "yokes".

Also, you have to time it right and/or use a notifier, because when they pop up cheap, they get snatched up by the vultures right away!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
OK, getting excited, Motor coming soon
with Rear frame and some other parts.
Thanks Joe C Mattin

Have a lead on fork assembly front rim w drum brake assembly
fenders and other things needed when the budget is there.

In the time being, I'll figure out how to post pictures
so when it all gets here I'll post them.

·
6,494 Posts
Hi Pat,

Triumph repair manual or CD for these 500cc 1969, or between the years 1969-74.
"Kim the CD Man" Triumph 2-disc set.
:nod Without wishing to do Kim out of any business (I've had several of his CD's for years), the Triumph Workshop Manual (covering '63-'74) is available both as a free download - http://classicbike.biz/Triumph/Repair/350-500/63-74-350-500cc-Repair.pdf - and as a brand-new paper copy either direct from the publisher - https://andover-norton.co.uk/en/shop-details/17849 or through any half-decent Meriden spares dealer.

Triumph "Replacement Parts Catalogues" - including '69 - are also available as free downloads from several sites, I use either http://vintagebikemagazine.com/links/parts-books/ or https://partsbooks.britishonly.com/ - on both sites, simply click on the relevant link to download a Catalogue. Several (but not '69 specifically :() are also available as brand-new paper copies either direct from Andover Norton or through any half-decent Meriden spares dealer.

Similarly, Andover Norton has Owners' Handbooks (including '69) and a year-by-year cross-reference of major (and many minor) parts. The latter originally came with Triumph Tiger 100 And Daytona by John Nelson but Andover Norton don't have the book in stock. :(

Hth.

Regards,

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #58 (Edited)
OK, Let's talk tools, tools,tools.
Ordered a set of Whitworth openend wrenches and sockets today.
Starting with Standard tool sets what else is needed.

Then Specialty tools.

So what should every shop have???

Let's hear it!!!

·
Super Moderator
12,534 Posts
Clutch hub puller, Posi-Lock 3" 3-jaw puller, timing pin tool, valve adjustment popsicle stick feelers, clutch holder tool (easy to make), impact driver (hold & whack type), rattle wrench (pneumatic impact driver), inside & outside micrometer set 1", 2", 3" & 4", good steel digital caliper, ...

·
6,494 Posts
Hi Pat,

Ordered a set of Whitworth open wrenches and sockets
Errrm ... '69-on fasteners are Unified threads/AF heads ...

About the only ones that stick in my mind as being British Standard are the Cycle-thread 'n' -hex. bolts through the rocker-boxes and head into the cylinder, but a 19/32"AF socket is a good fit ...

Specialty tools.

Clutch hub puller,
:agree Make sure its thread fits the hub fully (iirc there are two threadforms? Plus the usual balls-ups from the pattern part makers variable QC ...) before you fit the clutch hub to the bike ...

Hth.

Regards,

41 - 60 of 64 Posts