Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Rod, it's a bi*tch being a newbie
I had the frame numbers with me for a 69 650 Bonn
so when I seen these numbers it threw me off.
Now trying to figure it all out what I have and what I can do from here.
Thanks for the info

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Redmoggy, it says T400r on the frame after the frame #
Any thoughts on the engine?

Thanks
Can take more pics tomorrow, allot missing

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Sorry, meant to add. Are you sure it is a four? you are obviously in a better position to see than me but Triumph never used T400 as a model code.

The engine number is in the same place as the 650's under the barrel flange on the left hand side but not on a raised plinth. It should be stamped onto a section that looks almost to have been milled flat. Not sure about the first number you posted but the second would be the part number for the case half your looking at.

Thats about the extend of my knowledge on 500's so hopefully someone else will pop along and be more helpful.

Rod

·
6,520 Posts
Hi Pat,

Definitely a 500. Amplifying Rod's posts:-

Frame # XC06944 T400R F4161
"XC06944" was part of the the second batch of '69 500's and 350's built from mid-December 1968 through to around the end of January 1969.

"T400R" should be "T100R" (the model code).

The flat area under the letters and numbers should be covered in tiny Triumph logos.

We could do with a close-up picture of the frame number area?

"F4161" is the 'part number' of the steering head lug - aside, the numbers you see in parts books are those of 'finished' parts, ready to bolt on a motorcycle; however, Meriden used the same pattern of letters and numbers for raw castings and to track work-in-progress.

Not seeing
raised area with an engine #
Motor43 2NI
Uh-uh, not an engine number.

Original engine number would've matched the frame number, it was stamped on an area of the drive-side crankcase just under the cylinder block; on the 350/500, the area was machined flat, it was stamped all over with tiny Triumph logos.

Again, we could do with a close-up of the area.

inside the motor case 70-9035
on the Cylinder Head it has E695
If they're raised, they're the original casting part numbers; if they're stamped but don't match the numbers of the corresponding parts in the '69 350/500 parts book, they're WIP numbers.

Not seeing an engine plate,
If you mean the plates that mount the engine in the frame, they're loose on a 350/500, they bolt to lugs on both frame and engine.

If you decide to continue with the rebuild/restoration, much of what's been posted for you already still applies. :thumb

Not seeing any pictures apart from the one of the frame?

Hth.

Regards,

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks rod, the 43 2NI number is a plate tagged onto the motor casing and has a tiny lever centered on the plate.
I will look for the engine number when I get some light this morning
Thanks

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, getting somewhere.
The frame number though it looks to be T400, has a scratch across the T and the 1 making it look like a 4
So as Stuart says more than likely a T100, as he said Triumph didn't make a T400 frame.
There is a tag on the frame stating 1969 by Triumph stating the frame meets US specs.

Having measured the piston wall/bore (No pistons, it comes out to the dimensions for a E6899 for a 500 cc Engine.
Now onto the frame again, I need to check to see if everything is there.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I was a bit bummed when I found out that I didn't get what I thought I was getting,lol.
With that, all is fine as it turns out with a bit of help, and a bit of research I now have a T100 frame which the rear frame tube was cut off just behind the the support tubes that go down to the bottom of the frame(Don't see a name for those.

So with that as I posted at first about this build not knowing the difference about hard tails and soft, having searched that as well as the help from folks here, I'm going to make this a hardtail, as it won't be my long distance cruising bike, and I do like the looks of a bobber.

So things sometimes work out ok in the end.

·
6,520 Posts
Hi Pat,

have a T100 frame which the rear frame tube was cut off just behind the the support tubes that go down to the bottom of the frame
Either your're :confused: or I am ... this:-

... shows a complete bog-standard T100 frame.

Triumph 'dry' frames (the ones with a separate oil tank attached on the timing side (opposite side to the picture above) under the seat loop, rather than in a large diameter tube over and behind the engine) are two-piece, they bolt together exactly as your picture shows ...

If you want to know what a complete standard bike looks like, enter "1969 triumph t100r" into your preferred internet search engine and look at the returned images.

Hth.

Regards,

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
GrandPaul Z, The engine is in a basket in the shop
most of it's missing.
Big time cleaning job
Needs both pistons, on arm, maybe two depending when I look at the one there, haven't had time to look at the gears or the cam.
Maybe later today, or tomorrow morning.

I have figured how to download but one picture on the forum.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Your frame is stock, as it left the factory aside from the afore mentioned removed loop. Replacing the loop is a simple and relatively inexpensive repair. At the same time there are also plenty of fashion effected Hipster types who firmly believe in form over function, therefore finding a replacement rear frame section should not be to difficult.

For what it's worth taking a perfectly good handling machine and screwing it up by bolting on a hard tail has always seemed somewhat ridiculous to me.

Rod

1 - 20 of 64 Posts