Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
about 15k ago my oil levels started to drop considerably so i asked about and ended up whith new rings and valvestem seals and running on semi not full cream....
so now my 05 955i tiger has done 30k the tappets make a bit of noise the serviceing is up to date and ive just had to put in about 400ml during a 2400 trip !
has anyone got any suggestions on this ie grade and make of oil and should it burn it and rattle slightly ???
cazzy.:(

·
Registered
216 Posts
If you are saying that you have 30K (km or miles), IMO you have something amiss on your scoot. Had two 955 Sprints and now a 1050 Tiger at 21K miles and they didn't use hardly any oil. The ST might have been down a smidge at oil change time, that's it. IIRC, that is what the overwhelming majority of 955 owners said when I had them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oil

yeah its 15k miles and oil loss started new rings etc
now at 30k miles and its started again !!!!!!!!
what grade oil should be in there?
full or semi ?
should you hear the tappets ?
a garage said to me a happy tapp is a noiesy one !!
:eek:

·
Registered
216 Posts
yeah its 15k miles and oil loss started new rings etc
now at 30k miles and its started again !!!!!!!!
what grade oil should be in there?
full or semi ?
should you hear the tappets ?
a garage said to me a happy tapp is a noiesy one !!
:eek:
IIRC Triumph devoted almost an entire page to the type of oil you should use in their shop manuals for 955i's. Full or Semi is recommended and 10W40 will work but they wanted you to use their Mobil 1 Racing RT??? which was, I thing 15W50 or something close.
Bottom line, under normal (not racing or some other abusive riding style) conditions you should be able to run peanut oil and not have problems for well over 50K, that's WELL OVER.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I wish we had stats on how many tigers end up burning oil and how what oil the run, how they were broke in, and how they've been ridden, but we don't.

#1 theory is improper break in, and too early use of synthetic oils.

All I can tell you is that oil consumption is common enough that several large threads have been created on TigerTriple.com, Tiger1050.com, and I think here as well but I'm not bored enough to search at the moment.

Unless you have a 2006, first place you should look is your breather hose coming out of your stator cover on the left side.

After a ride, take some pliers out and slide that camp up the hose a bit. Pull off the hose and check and see if any oil is dripping out of there. If it is, you've likely just have worn breather seal.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok i will try that next.
ive had the bike a while now, longest of them all ! and yet still dont know if it should be on semi or fully or 10 / 40 or 15 / 50 ????
its a 31000 mile 05 cast wheel i ride at a good pace always in the mirrors till the motorway haha

·
Registered
351 Posts
Well per our owner's manuals, Triumph Mobil 1 4T (MX4T), which is a fully synthetic motorcycle specific oil.

Many running that oil since new though and still experiencing burning problems.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Several Tiger riders experiencing excessive 'loss/use' of oil..... like 1 qt / 500 miles.

The theories are:
1. Over filling when changing oil: Meaning NOT draining all oil before changing.
I would measure the oil you drain just to make certain.
2. Actually burning oil. Most riders will say they see no smoke.... and it could be
the synthetic oil does not show much if it is burning.

I do not know if '06 and later models are having these problems . . . I have not heard
any complaints. The reason: '06 has 1050 heads and it may be the 1050 has some way
eliminated the problem. My '06 has 40,000 miles and no issues (knock on wood). But I do
pay close attention looking for signs of problems.

It appears the real problem is valve guides. It seems that somewhere around 30,000 -
35,000 miles is when they show a problem. Run a compression test on each cylinder to verify a problem.

To correct that problem the heads probably have to be pulled and guides re-dressed. ( I do not know the complete procedure... )

Hope this helps....

·
Registered
216 Posts
I wish we had stats on how many tigers end up burning oil and how what oil the run, how they were broke in, and how they've been ridden, but we don't.

#1 theory is improper break in, and too early use of synthetic oils.

All I can tell you is that oil consumption is common enough that several large threads have been created on TigerTriple.com, Tiger1050.com, and I think here as well but I'm not bored enough to search at the moment.
I was on the TigerRat forum for a couple years but the Sprint side. I remember some guys asking about oil consumption, but most respondents talked about very little oil consumption. Why would Sprints be OK and 955 Tiger's use oil? Your theory does make some sense. When I was braking in my Sprint, my dealer's mechanic (and he was a good one), told me to go out and run the hell out of my bike. I was at about 800 miles and he said the nikasil coating was very hard to wear in and if you didn't get it right and went to synthetic, it would never wear in properly. Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, I noticed no oil consumption on my 07 Tiger, but noticed decreased fuel mileage and then it got hard to start, sometimes cranking over 5-6 times and sometimes it just quit trying to start and I had to release button and try again. Took it into dealer to be checked and now they say I have a center cylinder with only 50 lbs compression and failing the leak down test -- Cost estimate $2000.... This bike has only 15, 500 miles on it and was purchased new in 2008. But Triumph refuses any and all warranty for it.

So if I was having any kind of problem with a 1050 engine - I would advise getting it in to be checked out and documented at the dealers.

Yeah, I'm pissed. Especially since I have a 2001 Sprint that I have 56,000 miles on with no problems at all.

·
Premium Member
2,434 Posts
Cazzy, I have the same bike, and don't burn any oil. I use the standard Mobil 4T that is recommended by Triumph.

On my old Speed Triple, that I rode for 100,000kms it started to burn oil when I used anything but Mobil 4T or Silkolene full synth.

Make sure you're checking the oil correctly too, it can make a difference and scare you if you forget to keep the bike level.

Finally, tappets are usually a little noisy on these bikes and so long as the usual service intervals are kept up, they should be fine.

Beware of shonk dealers who try to sell you repairs you don't need. ALWAYS get a second opinion if you believe there is an issue.

Mick

1 - 11 of 11 Posts