Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Reaching out here. Im off on a trip with some mates thought id change the oil first. As you do..

I was in a rush (never a good idea) but while she was cold I sat her upright on centre stand and dropped the filter. (billet machined washable kind). Only what was in the filter seemed to have come out plus a little more Im guessing into my catcher already half full from car engine change. (so difficult to know how much actually left the bike).

Anyway, I then proceeded to remove the filler plug to allow what I thought was holding up the flow. Nothing more?

The window prior to the change had oil neatly between the lines.

So thinking Im going mad, and maybe all the oil did drain, I filled up the filter first replaced then the oil in the engine to the correct amount. The window is showing to the top and who knows how much further.

Worried I then ran the engine for a bit warmed her up under no pressure and then removed the filter. The oil in this came away, but again the oil in the engine refused to budge?

Whats going on? its not pissing out of the engine filler, but Im now wondering if there was an airlock of some description and I added all this oil. (which refuses to drain). Am I going to bugger her up if I run her around? Is it something to do with the oil pump? I watched a video of a guy with a 2014 scrambler and when he took off the sump plug it pissed out in a torrent.

Confused and a little worried.

Any ideas? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
You said the video guy removed the sump plug and the oil pissed out. Did you remove the sump, drain plug from the front of your oil pan? If not there's your trouble.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My sweet Giddy Aunt........... rweb, shall I remove this now before anyone else sees this? I know I said I was in a hurry but holy shite, I didn't remove the sump plug!!!!! :oops::oops::oops:(n)

No Ill leave it here as a lesson to calm my farm and to hopefully provide a chuckle or two.

Still shaking my head,....................in some different alternative universe the filter was also my drain plug! :rolleyes::D (and this is my third oil change to this bike ive done)

Lord have mercy.

Thanks mate.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Its worth leaving your post here just so the rest of us can use it as a reference to make ourselves feel "much better" when we do something silly.. 😃 I was going to suggest that you remove the filler cap because it ensures there will be no air lock & more oil escapes via the drain plug..but i was assuming you took the drain plug out, lol..Also, I can now use the saying...My Sweet Giddy Aunt...so thanks for that !

·
Registered
116 Posts
There's do-it-yourself and there's screw-it-yourself.

To execute any project one needs BOTH the knowledge and the tools.

Lacking either always ends badly.

In this instance it's not a fatal failure and is a good learning experience.

·
Registered
116 Posts
On ANY of the Hinckley Bonnevilles it's pretty hard to miss the oil filter AND the sump drain plug on either air cooled or water cooled Bonnevilles if one takes a second to look...

·
Registered
Tiger 900 GT Pro
386 Posts
My sweet Giddy Aunt........... rweb, shall I remove this now before anyone else sees this? I know I said I was in a hurry but holy shite, I didn't remove the sump plug!!!!! :oops::oops::oops:(n)

No Ill leave it here as a lesson to calm my farm and to hopefully provide a chuckle or two.

Still shaking my head,....................in some different alternative universe the filter was also my drain plug! :rolleyes::D (and this is my third oil change to this bike ive done)

Lord have mercy.

Thanks mate.

Here's what you need to calm the farm. :)

I'd like to point out to all those in the northern hemisphere - down here in Australia, because we're all upside down, we don't normally have to remove the sump plug because it's really at the top of the motor for us. Obviously, the OP's bike thinks it's still in Hinckley. :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Its worth leaving your post here just so the rest of us can use it as a reference to make ourselves feel "much better" when we do something silly.. 😃 I was going to suggest that you remove the filler cap because it ensures there will be no air lock & more oil escapes via the drain plug..but i was assuming you took the drain plug out, lol..Also, I can now use the saying...My Sweet Giddy Aunt...so thanks for that !

Haha my pleasure, but I cant take credit for it. Just finished watching Clarksons Farm. (Its his line).
Quite possibly the funniest thing ive watched.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Don't feel too daft , you're the second person to do it this week :) Oil used up?
I nearly missed this.

Thank you Sooooooooo much for the laugh and knowledge that I'm not the only plonker out there. Id link it to him to make him feel better if I knew how. ;):geek:

Anyway, Oil changed filter washed and refitted. Lesson learnt until the next time.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I nearly missed this.

Thank you Sooooooooo much for the laugh and knowledge that I'm not the only plonker out there. Id link it to him to make him feel better if I knew how. ;):geek:

Anyway, Oil changed filter washed and refitted. Lesson learnt until the next time.

Thanks guys.
When I first bought the Bonny in 2008 , I dropped it , more of a slow lowering to the ground . Luckily it was on a Sterling board / OSB wooden joisted floor with a lino type cushioned plastic floor covering , so the bike had a fairly soft landing . After I'd picked it up and given myself a good slap , I was convinced that the clutch lever was bent .

So I rang Triumph , St Austell , did the 80 mile round trip from Falmouth to pick up the new lever , got it home , offered it up to the bike and realised that the new clutch lever was bent too :)

Apparently the clutch lever and front brake lever have two completely different profiles , or so I'd just learned .

After returning the lever , I'd done close to 160 miles with all the associated buggering about , to fix a problem that didn't exist in the first place ! 😏

·
Registered
10,946 Posts
When I first bought the Bonny in 2008 , I dropped it , more of a slow lowering to the ground . Luckily it was on a Sterling board / OSB wooden joisted floor with a lino type cushioned plastic floor covering , so the bike had a fairly soft landing . After I'd picked it up and given myself a good slap , I was convinced that the clutch lever was bent .

So I rang Triumph , St Austell , did the 80 mile round trip from Falmouth to pick up the new lever , got it home , offered it up to the bike and realised that the new clutch lever was bent too :)

Apparently the clutch lever and front brake lever have two completely different profiles , or so I'd just learned .

After returning the lever , I'd done close to 160 miles with all the associated buggering about , to fix a problem that didn't exist in the first place ! 😏
It all goes back to "Don't fix it if it ain't broke."

Reactions: Daddy Cool

·
Premium Member
2012 Triumph Bonneville SE
59 Posts

Did the same with my 2012 Bonneville. Dropped it very softly on my leg when parking and caught some mud on the back tire. My riding mate said "dude, you bent your clutch lever." It bothered me for a year, and finally I ordered a new clutch lever from Triumph. As you say, the new one had the same bend. Ugh.

Reactions: Daddy Cool
1 - 20 of 20 Posts