Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok planning to do an oil change on my TBird. 2011 model.
Don't need advice as to which brand of oil as I will be using a quality motorbike specific oil.
The bike last service was the six thousand mile one approx two years ago.
Mileage done by the previous owner was 300 miles since that service.
I've done 1500 miles since I've bought it.
So for my piece of mind I intend to do a mini service.
Oil, spark plugs , filters etc.
So not sure if synthetic oil or semi is the way to go with this bike.
Being honest nit even sure which type of oil was previously put in.
It was serviced by a Triumoh main dealer.
So which type of oil is best full or semi synthetic?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd go with a full synthetic oil if it were my bike. Also.. just a heads up.. if you're doing plugs.. I wouldn't call it a "mini service". Changing the plugs on the Tbird are a pain in the butt!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Thanks for the reply
I was leaning to full synthetic TBH.
Any tips on the plugs then if they are that awkward.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Unless you're having issues with the plugs, I would suggest leaving them alone. As others have suggested, it's certainly not part of any "mini-service" you may have had in mind...so while being proactive is always wise, in this case it might just be best to leave well enough alone for the time being.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Rotella T-6 full syn....you will never have a problem....available globally....107,000 miles on my Yamaha RSTD.....and most important of all JASO MA approved. Plugs? Most bikes are a PITA requiring tank removal.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rotella T-6 full syn....you will never have a problem....available globally....107,000 miles on my Yamaha RSTD.....and most important of all JASO MA approved. Plugs? Most bikes are a PITA requiring tank removal.
That is so true never had a bike that wasn't a PITA when it came to doing plugs apart from small bikes.

·
Registered
59 Posts
your bike likley has no where near the miles on it to be thinking about plugs unless you are having issues with spark. If not leave them alone. As others have mentioned changing the plugs on these bikes is a real pain in the ass, at least a 6 pack worth of time. Go synthetic motorbike oil and you are good to go. 4.2 ltrs with filter change.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Leave the plugs alone man. It takes a spark plug socket, two extensions , a swivel and lots and lots of patience. The left outboard plug is the worst since it is located directly under a frame tube. I didn't change mine till 25,000 and I really didn't need to. Believe me you will want to hang yourself before you are through with the job.
I use Lucas 20/50. and change about every 5000 miles.
Get an oil filter with a nut on the end for easy removal. Otherwise it is also a pain in the ass.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Semi synth is fine (these are not performance bikes after all) but if you don't mind paying extra then fully synth. Re spark plugs - yeah, leave them alone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts