Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everybody,

i am looking to build a multiple electronic gauge (oil temp, oil press, a/f ratio, ambient temp, clock, fuel economy, maybe tire pressure) using a Texas Instruments MSC1210, some c programming, and then display everything in a way similar to this http://www.motogadget.com/en/multiview.html

does anybody know where can i find an oil temp sender for my 2007 bonnie?

as you can see, i am not interested in the oil filler cap gauge nor other mechanical gauge (murphy etc)

i am reading here that the temp range should be up to 300°C, and the closest i can find is this vdo up to 200°C: http://usa.vdo.com/products_solutions/cars/performance-instruments/vdo-performance-instruments/accessories/temperature-senders/individual-temperature-senders/Individual-Temperature-Senders.htm

do you guys have any idea if:
- am i looking for something impossible to find?
- is this sender able to read temperatures beyond the advertised range?
- i have a wrong info about the oil temp range?

any comments/suggestions are greatly appreciated

thanks,
chris

·
Registered
493 Posts
What I'm about to write is mostly un-researched opinion just so you know.

300°C seems extremely hot to me. That is equal to 572°F. Your oil may be boiling (I'm not sure about that) The oil WILL be well beyond its flash point and you would be starting to anneal parts of your engine. That last statement is not an opinion. I would think that a reading anywhere close to this means your engine may already be on fire... :eek:
200°C is equal to 392°F. That is STILL very hot and only about 80°F below flash point of a good 10W-40 synthetic oil. I'd think a temp gage that went up to 200°C would be plenty high enough. That's my uninformed opinion.

·
Registered
10,623 Posts
Maybe you're thinking 300F, not C. That seems more realistic.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Yes, thinking about it BaltoBonneville's just gotta be right. It HAS to be 300°F because 300°C is almost hot enough to melt lead (not that our engines contain any lead) it's still seriously way too hot.

But all of that aside this seems like a really cool modification. I don't know how you would do tire pressure. Isn't there some kind of Bluetooth tire pressure sender though? It seems like I've heard of that. Even if there were it seems like it would require tubeless tires.

If you get it working post some pics. I'm sure its not a mod for me but I really enjoy seeing what others come up with.... too cool.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
geimer,

bt would be nice, but first i'd have to figure out how to "deal" with it using MSC1210.

while there are lots of TPMS out there, at least one can monitor tube tires too: http://www.doranmfg.com/motorcycle-tire-pressure-monitoring-systems.htm

this one in particular has an external warning led, so instead of making the bars look like a christmas three, the whole thing can be hidden under the seat and could use the led to trigger a big warning on my display

as a "second generation" of the above (quick) solution, i might look into reading their display interface to get more displaying data from there

... you see, the winter is long here in canada, i do need little project to make it pass a little quicker :)

cheers,
chris

1 - 6 of 6 Posts