Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen,

I bought my Thruxton used and didn't get an owners manual with it. Can one of you please give me the engine oil specs as recommended by Triumph. I'm presently using a Castrol full synthetic but I just want to make sure I've got the specs covered.

Cheers,

Russ

·
Registered
913 Posts
Triumph High performance Fuel Injected engines are designed to use semi or fully synthetic 14w40 motorcycle engine oil which meets specification API SG or API SH and JASO MA.
There you go.

Congrats on the new ride! Pics?

·
Registered
10,666 Posts
The Thruxton's not fuel-injected, uses the same oil as the other Bonnevilles, i.e. 15W-50 semi- or fully-synthetic, API SH or higher and JASO MA.

Different sources vary on the recommended viscosity. My (USA) Bonneville/T100/Speedmaster/America owner's manual says 10W-40 or 15W-50. Some people use 20W-50. I currently use Amsoil full-synthetic 20W-50 motorcycle oil (I'm a warm-weather-only rider). The Bonneville/Thruxton/etc Triumph Service manual specifies only 15W-50.

Capacity for an oil and filter change is about 4 US quarts or 3.8 liters. Fill the new filter with oil when you change it. Don't overfill the oil.

Enjoy your ride. I hope that it's not too hot for you down there.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks gents - I'm pretty close with the oil I'm running by the looks of that.

Cheers,

Russ

·
Registered
679 Posts
The triumph website has the owners manual (not workshop) available for download.

Sorry I can't find them they used to have them maybe someone had it saved.

Darcy

[ This message was edited by: DickBender on 2006-12-10 02:48 ]

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I spec you are doing okay. You can get longer filters too. Also can get the more efficient synthetic media filters. PureOil.
My first oil change was the Triumph Mobile 1 for $48.00. I did that at 450 miles. Now using Castrol Syntec 20-50. $5.00 to $7.00 a quart. I probably should be using lower viscosity in the cold weather but haven't changed yet. Probably won't.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts