Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright lads & lasses. Question for you.If an oil pressure switch stops working would that stop my bike from starting? I have a Sprint GT and although bike turns over,it doesn't sound right and won't start. Oil & engine light are on when they shouldn't be. Plenty of oil in the bike. Battery earth leads earthed ok.Your advice would be really appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I don't think that would prevent your bike from starting although obviously if there is a issue with your oil pressure it needs addressing.
Depending how long it was since it was last started the oil pressure light should go out after turning the engine over for a few seconds, may be up to 5 seconds if it's been stood for a while. If that isn't happening then the oil pressure switch is the first thing to check, probably easier just to replace it.
Maybe post a video with the sound of the bike when it's turning over for more advice, was it running and sounding ok the last time it was used?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Bike had been running fine,stalled in traffic after being ridden about 8 miles and wouldn't start, when I tried to start it seemed it was a battery issue, seemed like a flat battery. Oil & engine light stayed on which doesn't usually
happen on the Sprint. Eventually started after about 20mins & this time the only light on display was the abs light,which is normal. Rode the bike 35 miles home with no issues,at home turned it off, started it again, switched it off and tried starting it again, this time engine warning & oil light on and bike wouldn't start?? Everything looks ok

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think that would prevent your bike from starting although obviously if there is a issue with your oil pressure it needs addressing.
Depending how long it was since it was last started the oil pressure light should go out after turning the engine over for a few seconds, may be up to 5 seconds if it's been stood for a while. If that isn't happening then the oil pressure switch is the first thing to check, probably easier just to replace it.
Maybe post a video with the sound of the bike when it's turning over for more advice, was it running and sounding ok the last time it was used?
Bike had been running fine,stalled in traffic after being ridden about 8 miles and wouldn't start, when I tried to start it seemed it was a battery issue, seemed like a flat battery. Oil & engine light stayed on which doesn't usually
happen on the Sprint. Eventually started after about 20mins & this time the only light on display was the abs light,which is normal. Rode the bike 35 miles home with no issues,at home turned it off, started it again, switched it off and tried starting it again, this time engine warning & oil light on and bike wouldn't start?? Everything looks ok that's why I thought it might be the oil pressure switch. Would a faulty starter relay cause the oil & engine light to stay on?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts