Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Oil pressure switch/light

Hi all. I posted this on Chat by mistake:
Bought my 2014 Storm last November with 20000 on the clock. Had the major service done and have only done about 1000 since. The red oil pressure light has started to come on at idle when hot. Oil level good and I've sprayed inside the pressure switch with WD-40 in case there's water in there. It seems intermittent because yesterday it came on after 6kms then went off and stayed off. Thinking of installing an oil pressure gauge, any thoughts?
Cheers, Tony.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Make sure the oil actually is at the correct level. If you read the user guide it will tell you the correct procedure (from memory) idle 5 (or maybe 10??) mins, sit 3 mins, measure with gauge screwed all the way in and the bike straight vertical (not on the side stand). It's a bugger of a job getting the bike vertical when you measure because the slightest tilt makes quite a difference. If anyone else reads this - is there a trick to measuring it by yourself?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Make sure the oil actually is at the correct level. If you read the user guide it will tell you the correct procedure (from memory) idle 5 (or maybe 10??) mins, sit 3 mins, measure with gauge screwed all the way in and the bike straight vertical (not on the side stand). It's a bugger of a job getting the bike vertical when you measure because the slightest tilt makes quite a difference. If anyone else reads this - is there a trick to measuring it by yourself?
I tend to put a small concrete block under the bike stand (it took some time to find a block with the right height) and it keeps the motorcycle pretty straight. Since it is still barely tilted toward the stand side, then a slightly lower measurement (between the two marks on the oil stick) is OK.

From previous filling mistakes, it takes about 1/2 liter to raise oil level from the 1st marker to the 2nd marker, so once your oil reaches the 1st marker, you can add just a little more and that's it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi all. I posted this on Chat by mistake:
Bought my 2014 Storm last November with 20000 on the clock. Had the major service done and have only done about 1000 since. The red oil pressure light has started to come on at idle when hot. Oil level good and I've sprayed inside the pressure switch with WD-40 in case there's water in there. It seems intermittent because yesterday it came on after 6kms then went off and stayed off. Thinking of installing an oil pressure gauge, any thoughts?
Cheers, Tony.
The oil could be heating up if your radiator liquid is low or not circulating correctly. Oil level is not the only issue leading to a red light. Also check if your radiator is not blocked by anything from the front. If the radiator liquid cap -under the fuel tank- was opened and not closed correctly (even if slightly), that leads to overheating as air enters into the radiator system causing the temperature to rise... That is just to mention a few other reasons.

·
Registered
50 Posts
This is how I check my oil level. I don't know if temperature of oil matters but I do it while warm.
1. Park the bike on the sidestand.
2. Clean debris from around dipstick.
3. Remove dipstick and wipe off oil.
4. Replace dipstick and screw it in snug but not tight.
5. Get on bike and carefully tilt up to vertical for a few seconds. Then let it back down onto sidestand.
6. Remove dipstick and check level.
I don't use blocks to hold bike vertical while screwing/unscrewing dipstick because end of dipstick is sloshing around in oil and I think that may indicate a false level. I'm old so I need glasses and good light to see new oil on this dipstick. Easy to do by myself and I don't need to take leveling blocks with me when traveling.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To give an update. I've had the oil pressure switch out and all seems to be good. I'm booked in to the stealers on Thursday for an oil pressure check. Will let you know how it goes.
Cheers Tony

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
BTW, installing an oil pressure gauge will only frighten you!
I have one and at idle when warmed up, pressure is alarmingly low! (close to zero)
According to manual, it should be 3-3.6 bar (28-37 PSI) at 3500 RPM.
But if you do install one, it should be pretty simple.
The first pic shows an electric sender (gauge is in the fairing). You could put a mechanical pressure gauge in the same place, but just not be able to see it when riding.
If you do the latter, be sure to get an oil filled gauge or else it'll fluctuate way too much.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've not had the oil pressure checked yet but done the following:
Fresh oil 15-50 semi synthetic. Issue persists.
Replaced oil filter. The light hardly ever comes on now. So the filter was partially blocked after only about 1000 ks. Red light only slightly flickers at idle when engine really hot. TEST while engine hot: while stationary, I reved to 2000 and light goes out and cooling fan comes on, light goes out and stays off while idling. I think I'll order a new oil warning light Switch. I'm thinking that the Internal spring may be clogged making it harder for the oil pressure to push it open.
Cheers Tony

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well bugger me! I've just replace the oil warning light SWITCH (under the sump) and I have the same issue, ie, the red light flickers when hot. Now I'm a retired electronics technician and I don't know why I didn't do the following test BEFORE I ordered a new Switch, anyway, here's the test:
I disconnected the Black wire from the Switch and the flippin light still flickers, SO, nothing to do with the oil pressure itself but an "earthing" of the wire that goes to the switch, somewhere between the Red LED and the switch connector. I'll investigate further and let you know what I find.
Cheers
Tony

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
FIXED!!

Well it was an electrical fault (sort of). Someone had put a load of grease on the electrical connector to the instrument panel (see photos). I cleaned it all off inside and out (like a Chimpanzee getting termites with a stick :smile2: ) and then liberally sprayed with Electrical Contact Cleaner (non-greasy). Test rode, all fixed.

Attachments

·
Registered
678 Posts
Great find and outstanding determination to run down the issue. Can't imagine coming from the factory like that. Do you suspect the recent dealer service you had done?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No mate, don't suspect the dealer service. I reckon the previous owner may have used the wrong type of grease and it had become contaminated. Also, since I cleaned the connector, I did notice the odd flicker of the red light so I replaced the wire that connects the switch to the connector under the instrument panel. Since then it has never even flickerd. I'm a qualified electronics technician so it's been done professionally. The wire must have been chafing to the chassis somewhere so suspect this was the main cause. I've been to the dealer and he agrees that this is the most likely cause.
Cheers Tony

·
Registered
678 Posts
Sounds like you nailed it.....upon refilling the radiator last evening noticed that connector does have a smidgen of dielectric grease from the factory. I'm certainly not an electronics technician like yourself....computer tech yes, but I do stretch my neck out occasionally with the crimping tools, connectors etc.
Also sounds like you have an excellent dealer. We just lost 1 of 3 in my area. My LT is second hand bought with 2500 miles on the clock. Not knowing the history first thing I did was change oil. Found the 4 screws on that plate stripped...and suspect they couldn't figure out how to get the filter out. https://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/advanced_search_result.php?search_in_description=1&keywords=CONN-85729&x=32&y=11

Best
BS

1 - 14 of 14 Posts