Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently replaced the Oil Pressure Switch on my D650. Since it hasn't been run since it's replacement (I replaced it right after my electrical system failed) I don't know if it works.

Is the installation really as easy as it seemed? Unscrew connecting wire, remove old, install new and hook the wire back up. If so, that's the easiest DIY project ever.

·
Super Moderator
8,839 Posts
Yes, it's just as easy as it seems. All you have to do now is start the bike and check for leaks. It's easier than changing the oil, since there's no filter to wrestle with.

·
Registered
5 Posts
D650

I'm not so sure it is that easy.

I also replaced my oil pressure switch recently. (It is hard to give details without showing pictures, so bare with me.) It might be easier for you to take the switch back out to see what I am talking about.

If you'll notice just below the threads (on the switch) there are two small holes, one hole on each side of the switch directly across from each other; in addition, there is a larger hole on the bottom of the switch. Also, notice the small hole located inside of the metal ring (The metal ring attached to a steal tube) that the switch slides through prior to installation.

My question is; Does oil need to flow through the switch and into the steal tube by use of one of the small holes located on the oil pressure switch?

What I did when installing: I made a mark on the switch nut, that showed me where the two small holes were when I was tightening the switch. I made sure that the placement of one of the holes on the switch was in-line with the steal tube.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is the same thing I was thinking. I do believe, however, that these type of connectinos are convex around the inside of the connection so that oil comes out of the small holes and can flow around the bolt and into the tube no matter which way the holes are pointing.

Did you have success in lining up your mark? I was going to attempt that, but figured the odds were pretty slim. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
judging by my markes on the nut, it is lined up.

I have to agree with you about the curve inside the ring. I was in bad lighting in the garage, so when I saw it, I thought that the curve on the outside of the ring was creating an optical illusion making the inside of the ring appear to be concave. But now I know that it is for sure.

Thank you for solving that dilemma.

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
The hole alignment makes no difference; it is a banjo bolt and allows oil to flow in and out at multiple points.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi guys

i'm from russia moscow and i need oil pressure switch for daytona 650
can anyone give me a web shop where i can purchase it or buy this switch for me and ship it to me i will pay for all your work and shipping fees
thanks! good luck

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
hi guys

i'm from russia moscow and i need oil pressure switch for daytona 650
can anyone give me a web shop where i can purchase it or buy this switch for me and ship it to me i will pay for all your work and shipping fees
thanks! good luck
www.bikebandit.com ships internationally, and TriumphRat.net members get a discount when using the code (see our site sponsors page for more details).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts