Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may have to replace the oil pressure switch on my ‘97 Trophy. The light only works occasionally, and I’d feel more comfortable knowing that it will light up I’d there’s a problem, even though I check the oil level often. I still need to test the bulb by grounding the wire, I just haven’t done that yet. I’m pretty sure the switch location is the later one, on the top of the crankcase, cause every time I need a part for the bike it’s for the later Trophy. So my question is, if the switch is, in fact, at the top of the crankcase, do I need to drain the oil before removing it? I just did an oil change a few hundred miles ago and I’d like to avoid those extra steps if possible. Also will I need to remove any fairing pieces to reach the switch?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ok so I answered some of my own questions..the switch is on top of the crankcase and easily accessible without removing any plastic bits. Grounding the wire lights up the dash bulb consistently, so the problem is the pressure switch itself. All I need to know know is whether i have to deal with draining the oil before changing it out. It seems like the oil level wouldn’t be higher than that, but maybe someone’s done this before?

·
Registered
27 Posts
No need to drain the oil if the switch goes in the top of the case. I had to replace one on a 1998 Tiger easy job.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cool, thanks..now I just need to find out if it’s the same part number as the one that is located low on the sump. All the parts diagrams I could find online only show that one. I’ll call Hermy’s later on and make sure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts