Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The oil pressure light on my 98 TBS does not light when the key is turned on, I replaced the bulb and still no light which as you all know means that it will fail to tell me it oil pressure is in fact low. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
I had a similar issue with my '04 TBS.

The sensor is on the right side of the block behind the cylinder and under the right carb.

Disconnect the wire to the sensor, turn on the ignition and short the wire to ground.

If the circuit is good the light should come on, proving that the sensor is faulty.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
And this is why I love this forum, thanks Wombat.
I did as you said and the light came on so now I guess I'll need to find a new sensor.

·
Registered
900 Posts
what are your guys thoughts on running the bike with a known bad sensor? i've never had a problem with oil pressure but my sensor just died during a LED bulb change. it'll take a week for the new sensor to get here which is a lot of riding i don't want to miss. can i still cruise or suck it up and wait?

does anyone known the socket size i need to remove it? i'm guessing 20-23mm since my 19mm socket isn't wide enough

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
:) The sensor failed on my wifes' Thunderbird, whilst we were on a major 3 week Euro trip. We couldn't get a new one at any of the dealers we tried, so we left it, pretty safe in the knowledge that the oil pump was highly unlikely to fail, and carried on with our holiday. My wife was acutely aware of the slightest unfamiliar noise, coming from the engine, but it was fine. A new switch, fitted when we got back, and all was well! I must admit though, out of all the idiot lights, the oil pressure one is the one you least want to fail!

·
Registered
900 Posts
thanks for the info, i ran her around town during my lunch break and no issues. ordered the new switch so it'll come in next week that way i can install it before going to the Triples Rally

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Oil Pressure Switch

I would expect the switch to be a generic item, available from an auto factor. I'm sure Triumph just buy this stuff in.
Thats what I thought too! After traipsing around the auto electrical outlets in our City one thing became apparent. The thread size, where the unit screws into the engine casing, is of a very unusual cut. Nothing came even close although many of the sender units looked almost identical.
As an aside, my unit became 'intermittant' one day it would work, others it wouldn't. Rode around for upwards of 12,000 miles like that then all of a sudden it became reliable again!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
J.J. Do know the part number for the sensor? I have not been able to find one yet. Nearest Triumph dealer is 200 miles so I would like to find one on line.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts