Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about installing a oil pressure guage (permanet mount) on the 71. Where is a good source tap to pull oil pressure from?

Regency01

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oil pressure gauge

Dave M, I found a reference in the manual for an oil pressure test port near the pressure relief valve. I'm going to investigate this further.

MAL, that is exactly what I want. I wonder if the bracket is custom made or something that can be purchased? I have a work shop and could probably fabricate one.

You guys stay in touch if you find out more.

Regency01

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I'm thinking about installing a oil pressure guage (permanet mount) on the 71. Where is a good source tap to pull oil pressure from?

Regency01
http://www.triplesonline.com/dealers/triplesrule/
Here's a nice looking one. Here's my opinion about oil gauges on an OIF Triumph: If you want to maximize your worrying about oil pressure, install a gauge. When you can't see any oil, add some. When oil runs over the cap, stop adding oil. When the oil is at the bend of the main frame tube, it's only half full. You'd have to park the bike on a 45 degree downhill slope to overfill it. If you want more oil capacity, add a filter. Bob

·
Registered
36 Posts
oil pressure

thats similar to one i fitted to my 69 bonneville, i gave up on the ammeter and replaced it with the oil gauge which is more interesting to watch provided you don't panic when it shows zero at idle!! was a an easy install and looks good. It all came in a kit which had all the parts needed and taps into the engine next to the oil pressure relief valve where the sender unit for the warning light sits. You can reconnect the light and have both but i chose not to and use the red warning light to show i have power to the ignition. i can't recall where i purchased the kit other than it was in the states.

Cheers Andrew
[/url][/IMG]

·
Registered
218 Posts
I purchased a gauge mounting bracket from this company http://www.triplesrule.com/3gauge.html.

The oil line connects where the pressure warning lamp switch resides at the front of the timing cover. You can create a 'T' so both the gauge and the lamp switch function but you can't really see the lamp once the bracket is installed. I like having the gauge because the lamp is hard to see on bright days. Plus the bracket keeps the tach and speedo gauges from rotating around.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts