Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Sorry if this has been covered ad nauseum but I figured it would be quicker to post then search old threads (call me lazy but I prefer efficient:))

I plan on installing an oil pressure gage soon and wanted to know what the normal start up and operating oil gage pressure readings should be so I have a point of reference.

I bought my bike last year and unfortunately it didn't come with a whole lot of history from the PO. When I changed the oil and pulled all the bottom plugs and sump plate I found a lot of sludge. This concerned me. Cleaned all the bits in kerosene, put in fresh oil and changed it again after about 100 miles. The bike continues to run strong and has great compression but I'm always worried about that sludge trap- especially after reading some of the horror stories here. I'm hoping the oil pressure gage will give me some indication of the bottom end condition. The red light always goes off a few seconds after start up and never comes on even when she's good and hot but I still worry about that darn trap.:(

·
Registered
847 Posts
I have run an oil pressure gauge for years, ever since a persistent overheating problem.

On my old pre-unit, oil pressure is around 80psi on cold startup, dropping to 60psi at operating temperature.

There are many variables that affect the reading on your gauge on your bike. Some I can think of are type of gauge, type of oil, condition of oil pump, condition of oil pressure relief valve, ambient temperature. IMHO the value of having a gauge is to know what is normal for your bike in your climate, so if it changes you can start to worry. And if it doesn't change then you can worry about something else :).

The oil pressure on its own does not guarantee that the oil is going to the right place, but if the bottom end is in trouble the temperature will rise and the oil will thin, lowering the reading. That will give you some warning before the bang.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Neil.

·
Premium Member
4,721 Posts
Unfortunately,oil pressure readings will not tell you if oil is pumping through the sludge trap.It will tell you how much pressure is attempting to push oil through a sludge trap (which may be blocked).
Maximum readings are likely to tell you more about the pressure relief valve than the pump.
With everything working well,I'm happy to see around 80 psi when the engine is fairly cold and 65 psi after 20 miles run on a warm day.I think that's about as good as it gets,and a little less would still be OK.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Drop of oil pressure,,, It's OK on standard oil pump.

But with Morgo rotative oil pump,,,Zero drop oil pressure when engine is hot :)

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
If you have to know the oil pressure in PSI that`s ok but a red indicator light has always been good enough for my old Triumph as long as I`m sure it`s working properly.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
I still worry about that darn trap.:(
Bikeman,

Being a worry wart will put you into an early grave!!

You may assume that the bigends are presently receiving oil. Be happy:)

If you now install a spin on filter, you can expect the situation to continue OK. So do this. Follow up with regular oil/filter changes and you can forget that darn trap and enjoy riding that old tart. RR

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the feedback.

Since I already went ahead and bought the gage I just wanted to know what a "typical" healthy 650 twin should have for oil pressure when cold and fully warmed up with 20/50. So, thanks Neil and Mr.Pete, I think I have a good baseline now. If I'm more or less in the 60 to 80 psi range now then I should be good. The gage will hopefully allow me to monitor any change over time.

I plan on keeping the red warning light plumbed in the circuit as an extra indicator.

BTW, I did install a Norton style oil filter last fall and already noticed how much longer the oil stays clean. Its sort of like smoking though- good that you quit but what about the damage from the last 40 years while you did?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hi,

Do you have a fitting that allows you to install an oil pressure gauge and run the oil pressure warning light at the same time? I have seen such a fitting on the internet but have not been able to find one to purchase to use on my T140E. Any info would be very much appreciated.

regards,

shep.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi,

Do you have a fitting that allows you to install an oil pressure gauge and run the oil pressure warning light at the same time? I have seen such a fitting on the internet but have not been able to find one to purchase to use on my T140E. Any info would be very much appreciated.

regards,

shep.
Hi Shep,

I bought a kit from Triples Rule that includes the gage mounting bracket, the gage and fittings. The vendor makes a special T-fitting that replaces the stock fitting and allows for pressure feed to both the gage and the low pressure fault indicator. I haven't looked at the hardware yet to tell what the thread and pitch is on these fittings. You may want to contact this supplier (his name is Pat) to see if has something that might work with your setup. Hope this helps.

http://www.triplesrule.com/brackets.html

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hi Andrew,

Thanks very much for the info and the link. My 140E has the late model instruments and consol. I already have the gauge and the a fibreglass bracket to fit but I have been chasing the 'T' type fitting to allow both the oil pressure gauge and the warning light to operate at the same time. Many thanks, regards, shep.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I finished the installation of the TriplesRule instrument bracket and oil pressure gage but must admit I am disappointed that the bracket obscures the warning lamps.

Dummy me, I went through the trouble of installing a pressure fitting tee under the tank so the gage and red indicator lamp could operate simultaneously only to find out that I can't see the lamp when seated on the bike anyway! I haven't connected the electrical lead for the pressure switch yet. It needs to be grounded to the frame because the nifty clamp I found at the local hardware store has a rubber lining on the inside- perfect for damping vibration but also a good insulator.

At least the gage works well and my engine oil pressure seems pretty rock steady- about 80 psi when could and 73 psi at operating temperature.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts