Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I seem to always get problems with oil pressure! my last question was about oil warning light which turned out to be a knackered switch and bad wiring has been fine for a while and usually goes off on starting , but .. out on my 750 tiger last week and after 10 miles light came on at junction so turned for home, and it went off, on revving but by the time i got home it had flickered on while riding until it came on constantly by the time i reached home.
I had topped up oil which seemed a little bit down but on checking
oil return when i got home it seemed very high, but was pumping back, no smoke or rattles etc could it be oil pressure release valve,
anybody had similar thing? i am using morris sae40 goldenfilm .
cheers

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Hi shuttleworth snap, :) and welcome to TR.
It could be the dump valve (oil pressure release) or
it could be the crankshaft oil seal inside the timing case.
The dump valve is fairly cheap and you should replace it
the same goes for the oil seal.
Another thing it could be is, the little balls inside the oil pump.
Is the oil returning to the tank?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cheers for reply

Hi thanks for reply, yes the oil is returning to tank, i will check the other things too , could that oil seal cause wetsumping? as the level seems to go down when the bike is left, it's a shame because i need to be on the road!

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
As Plewsy said, but...
Your apparent loss of tank oil maybe the sump filling.
You might check the sump by undoing the angled nut under the engine and check the quantity that comes out...
maximum 100 cc`s (less than 1/4 pint).
Bear in mind the overall quantity of oil includes the tank, sump and primary chaincase.
Over-filling is as bad as under-filling.

How`s your compression?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts