Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
I call Bullsh#t right?
more than right. I'm not even going to go into all the reasons, but that guy is so full of $hite it's pathetic. An idiot at best. If i were you i'd be scared as he|| to take my bike to him. Anyone that clueless with such off the wall and incorrect nonsense isn't to be trusted with your bike. If it were me i wouldn't even RIDE within several miles of that shop let alone let them touch my bike ! seriously....take my advice and find another dealer or do all maintenance yourself.

·
Registered
10 Posts
oil

telling you guys, look for your local Brad Penn supplier and try their MC oil in either the 10-40 or the 20-50. This is the old green Kendall oil used by everyone in the country back in the 60's and 70's till ConocoPhillips bought the name for their crappy brown oil. Same plant, same oil, different name. This is semi syn with 100% USA pennsylvania base stock. 100% made in the USA for your bike. It is the only oil in the world, yes the whole freeking world, that you can litterally trace from the container right down to the well head in the USA.

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
Use JASO MA spec oil ... that's why they have specs. Waiting 6K to change oil is just not smart in my opinion ... 3K tops, no matter what brand you use. What stands between trouble free performance and a lousy engine more than your oil? I'm not risking my huge investment in a world class motorcycle trying to save a few lousy bucks on oil. Also, buying cheap oil filters at Wal-Mart when a top quality K&N filter can be had for 15 bucks makes no sense at all to me.

It seems like the number one topic in this forum is motor oil (I don't know ... maybe it's what octane gas to use) but it's really simple. Use oil that meets the spec, use a top quality filter, change it when it's due (erring on the side of caution) and enjoy the ride!

But, that's just my opinion ...

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Castrol 10w50 on Amazon

I just found some Castrol Power 10w50 on Amazon for $7.73/quart with free shipping and no tax. I bought 2 six packs. :D

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Castrol-06412-10W-50-4-Stroke-Motorcycle/dp/B008MISF54/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1349804831&sr=8-2&keywords=castrol+10w50[/ame]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Oil preference

After talking with a Triumph mechanic and friend of mine here in Kansas City, I change my oil every 3k miles. I use Mobile 1.
I haven't had any issues with the engine so far, and no leaks hehe.

Cheers
Paul

·
Registered
664 Posts
Spent numerous hours researching MC specific oils. When I owned an HD we had a rep from HD at our HOG Club meeting....first words out of his mouth were ..."I will answer any questions on anything except oil"...Problem as I see it is MC manufacturers aren't required to list the API rating on their bottle/can of oil (another marketing gimmick) Make money! Over the years I have used Rotella T-6 JASO MA approved. My Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe V-4 had 107,000 miles using that oil. Mobil 1 automotive caused clutch slippage. Mobil 1 MC oil did not...but 10.00/qt? Rotella T-6 1 gallon at Wally World on sale costs $19.95.
Just throwing it out there....

·
Registered
109 Posts
Is anyone running the Lucas Oil High Performance Semi-Synthetic 10w40 motorcycle oil? I can get a 6 quart case for $41 shipped. I am doing my first oil change since getting the bike with 1500 miles. Current ODO is 3500 miles.

·
Registered
65 Posts
New Rotella 4T Semi Syn JASO MA and MA2 15w40Try it and you will like the results about 20$ gallon change at 4000 mi. Try a couple of Oil Analysis. You will be pleasantly surprised.

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
In my '72 TR6R Tiger, 1.5+ qts of modern day Castrol GTX 20w/50 and approx 0.5 qts of STP Oil treatment. The latter contains ZDDP.

·
Registered
65 Posts
No I really Mean "Rotella T4", it is new and is an improvement to "Semi Syn" over the old "Triple T"and It is JASO MA and MA2. Only Rotella Triple T, T4 and T6 have JASO MA ratings. Still very reasonable prices around $20 per four qts. Check it Out!

41 - 54 of 54 Posts