Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an oil leak (2010 Striple 675 R) which seems to be coming from the oil pan. Did a search for "oil pan torque" which lead to everything except the actual torque spec. Lot's of people saying, "snug the oil pan bolts, but don't over torque" with no torque spec mentioned. How much is a "snug"??? And don't say, "it's the same as a smidgen" LOL.
Wasn't in the Haynes manual I have either. HELP!!!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Manual says 12 newton meters which is 8.85 foot pounds. Most 6mm thread bolts are in the range of 7 to 10 foot pounds.

But the correct way is to tighten until it snaps, then back off half a turn :p

·
Premium Member
8,888 Posts
Tighten a smidgen at a time until snug, then add a skosh.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a '13 Striple with a similar chronic oil pan leak due to fasteners slowly backing out. If the pan and exhaust and are the same, good luck getting to a couple in the front. I needed a shorty 8mm wrench and a helping hand of circus contortionism to tighten two bolts that are nearly impossible to get to without removing the exhaust. Next year I'll drop the exhaust and pan to put a new gasket on, said I for the last three years.

·
Premium Member
8,888 Posts
Not helpful.
Sorry, it was a joke. After dementedbrave gave you the information you requested, I felt it would be okay to have a little fun. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts