Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, been a member for a few years, mainly on the supersport forum. I recently added a 2007 Sprint ST ABS to my garage :smile2: which I absolutely love.
Anyway I put a new airfilter in and changed the plugs to iridiums. On removing the old plugs each of them had a large amount of oil on the threads. Nowhere else, just the threads. I assume this is not normal? Any ideas as to what would cause this?
Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,958 Posts
Is (are) the cam cover plug hole seal correctly sealing?
I agree with Fred's thoughts. Oil in the spark plug well would get onto the threads as you removed the plugs. Seals could be ageing or possibly not seated correctly when the cam cover was replaced after a valve check. Check out this post for more details.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is (are) the cam cover plug hole seal correctly sealing?

Fred
I agree with Fred's thoughts. Oil in the spark plug well would get onto the threads as you removed the plugs. Seals could be ageing or possibly not seated correctly when the cam cover was replaced after a valve check. Check out this post for more details.
Thanks for your replies, Fred and Champ. I thought about the cam cover seals, but there is no oil on the coils or the hex section of the plugs. I took a photo but you can't even see the oil in the pic so no help there.

I'll pull the plugs sometime over the next couple of weeks and have a proper look down the wells.

Cheers

·
Registered
219 Posts
What sort of air filter did it have as an over oiled K&N type can leak out, can't remember how or where but mine did, made a mess of the cam covers! Bob

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
Thanks for your replies, Fred and Champ. I thought about the cam cover seals, but there is no oil on the coils or the hex section of the plugs. I took a photo but you can't even see the oil in the pic so no help there.

I'll pull the plugs sometime over the next couple of weeks and have a proper look down the wells.

Cheers

The oil settles in the bottom of the wells and gets on the threads as you unscrew them from the head. You're basically dragging through the oil as you remove them. Once out, most of the oil probably drained into the cylinders and the problem might not reappear until many more miles. At any rate, the only place it can come from is the cam cover if the electrode is dry.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The oil settles in the bottom of the wells and gets on the threads as you unscrew them from the head. You're basically dragging through the oil as you remove them. Once out, most of the oil probably drained into the cylinders and the problem might not reappear until many more miles. At any rate, the only place it can come from is the cam cover if the electrode is dry.
Here is a pic of one of the plugs, not a drop of oil anywhere but the threads...
The astute may also notice they are CR8EK, not CR9EK as they are supposed to be on a 2007 Sprint.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
It is clean oil. You understand that if that oil was on the thread while engine running the oil would be burnt.
So the oil come from above.

Fred

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
Here is a pic of one of the plugs, not a drop of oil anywhere but the threads...
The astute may also notice they are CR8EK, not CR9EK as they are supposed to be on a 2007 Sprint.

Exactly as my plugs looked when my cam cover gasket failed.

·
2,905 Posts
This certainly looks like a gasket failure to me. Not disasterous.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
87 Posts
I agree. It happened on my 2007. I replaced the seals and gasket and the problem went away. If you can do minor wrenching it’s not a very hard DYI job. It also gives you an opportunity to check the valves. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,958 Posts
Just to be clear - the 1050 Sprint cam cover gasket does not go around the spark plug wells. Gen 1 955s did use a gasket but on 1050s (and Gen 2 955s) there are 3 individual round seals that sit on top of the cam ladder around the spark plug wells. Obviously, the cam cover does have a gasket but that would not be a source of oil around the spark plugs.

The effect of a poor seal will be the same whether it's a gasket or a seal but diagnosis can be difficult if you look for a gasket that isn't there.

·
2,905 Posts
Good to clear it up

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
Just to be clear - the 1050 Sprint cam cover gasket does not go around the spark plug wells. Gen 1 955s did use a gasket but on 1050s (and Gen 2 955s) there are 3 individual round seals that sit on top of the cam ladder around the spark plug wells. Obviously, the cam cover does have a gasket but that would not be a source of oil around the spark plugs.

The effect of a poor seal will be the same whether it's a gasket or a seal but diagnosis can be difficult if you look for a gasket that isn't there.

A bit of a play on semantics?? The two cover designs are identical in function and almost so in appearance...the detachment of the plug tower seals from the main perimeter seal changes the function of neither. One either orders a gasket for the 955 or a gasket set for a 1050. In the end, all are renewed.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,958 Posts
A bit of a play on semantics??
No, I don't play games like that. I think it's worth making it clear for those who don't know the arrangement that on 1050s and Gen 2 955s you can order those 3 seals without ordering a cam cover gasket.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Very interesting then that all three seals have gone. I would understand more if it was like the Gen 1 seal (same as the TT600) where a misalignment would usually mean all three were affected.

The bike is coming up to 40,000 ks so is due for a valve check anyway. Looks like I will be doing it the weekend after this one, once I get some new seals :Darn

Thanks for all your input :applause

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Yeah, Champ is right. Sometime we all think it's obvious because we went there already.

But the guy who's waiting for the solution may not get it right. Those seals have a serious tendency to move or fall when we do the valve play.

Never had a gen 1 so can't say about it. My gen 2 and my GT are fairly identical on this.

I must add I never changed any seal on either bike and never got a leak.

Fred

·
Premium Member
1,958 Posts
Very interesting then that all three seals have gone.
Yes, it does seem odd but, so far, we all seem to agree that a trace of oil in the spark plug wells is most likely to come from around those seals. We could all be wrong. Maybe you'll find something else. In that case I'll learn something new.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts