Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. Took advantage of the great temps here in NJ today and went on a first long ride of the season. Noticed for the first time some oil on the fins of the head and block (more on the head) on the right side wrapping around to the back. it started to rain when I got home so i'll look at it tomorrow. Someone I was riding with suggested it was possibly being blown from the air filter having had oil in it from the crankcase breather hose. It's easy to check but thought I would check in here. Would appreciate any thoughts on this or other possibilities. Thanks so much.

Drue

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
leaky cam cover gasket? seems to be a common problem with these bikes. mine never leaked until i took the cover off to polish it, and when i put it back on and torqued it to specs it leaked on one side. loosened the bolts, torqued it again and problem was gone.

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
well, the crank breather is located under the carbs. How it would blow oil onto the head is beyond me ;)

maybe a leaking cam cover gasket or leaking oil line going into the head from the oil cooler. There are 2 copper crush washers on each oil line going into the front of the head, they can leak. Make sure the oil line going into the head is tight, if that is where the leak is coming from order 2 new crush washers and replace them.

·
Registered
510 Posts
+1 cam cover gasket

Had the same problem, same side. Before I noticed, oil was collecting down in the area where the spark plug is, and when riding, the wind would blow it around.
Cleaned the area, removed the cam cover, cleaned and applied layer of permatex RTV sealant to create gasket, and tightened cover back on.

Problem solved.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Me too. Out the cam cover, down the side, into the spark plug cavity and out the openings in the cooling fins. My cam cover bolts were dead loose. I tightened them a little and the problem lessened to a very great degree (but not absolutely)
It was when I did the 12000 mile valve check that I cleaned the gasket surfaces, applied a little high temp RTV and then...absolutely no more leaking.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts