Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is the wrong place. I've only had this account for 30 min and having trouble understanding the site. So my 2011 sp3 has an oil light and I am wondering if my oil light will come on when my oil is low or do I need to be checking my oil by hand everytime. I'm new to triumph. I have only had it for 2 days and when I tried to check the oil o couldn't figure out where the oil was supposed to read on the dip stick. I'm used to my Honda with a oil site where I just tip the bike up right and look in the little oil window. I made sure the bike had been running and than let it sit for a few minutes before checking. Also my bike didnt come with a owners manual so unsure of the kind of oil to put in it.

·
Registered
2000 Speed Triple 955i
837 Posts
The oil light is a low oil pressure light, it should turn off as soon as the engine is running unless you are very low on oil. You need to put more oil in! The line above the crosshatched section on the dipstick is what you're looking for as your max fill level, the bike needs to be level and the dipstick needs to be fully screwed in to take a proper reading.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The oil light is a low oil pressure light, it should turn off as soon as the engine is running unless you are very low on oil. You need to put more oil in! The line above the crosshatched section on the dipstick is what you're looking for as your max fill level, the bike needs to be level and the dipstick needs to be fully screwed in to take a proper reading.
I saw pictures of other dip sticks and they dont look like mine. My dip stick only has two cross at the very bottom of the dip stick where as others have like 10 crosses with two lines.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you looked at your owner's manual? A digital version is available at triumphmotorcycles.com if you don't have one. How to read the oil level is detailed in the manual.
I bought my bike from a guy in town and it doesnt have an owners manual

·
Registered
280 Posts

Welcome!.
Be sure to post some photos.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts