Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Everyone

:mad: i've posted this elsewhere on the forum but think it was in the wrong place Oooops. Anyway i was kind of hoping someone might be able to shed some light on a problem i'm having with my Daytona 600 (2004) I was out riding my bike the other day with no problems however once i came to a stop on the bike at traffic lights my oil warning light came on. if i put the bike in to gear and gave a slight rev the light would go out, i'd imagine because the oil pressure was increased. As the light kept going out i made my way home while i could once i got in to the town where there was more stops and starts the problem got worse. as i was trying to keep the revs up by placing the bike in gear and reving to biting point to keep the light out after a short while my clutch started to go too i pulled the bike over to the side due to the problem getting worse i waited for 5 mins or so till the bike cooled a little. i then tried to set off again which i did with no problems how ever the oil light is still coming on when the bike is warm and at low revs.

So my question is any ideas on why this is happening? i have seen other peoples problems and it seems to be linked to the Oil pump but the last thing i want to do is to spend money i have not got on some thing that wont solve the problem. so any advice would be great

look forward to you reply's

·
Registered
493 Posts
Hi,
Being the owner of a Bonneville T100 I cannot tell you where the oil fittings are located for the oil sender on a Daytona, however, this is something you should figure out and fit an actual oil gauge there... it only needs to be a temporary set up. But you must find out the actual pressure of the oil before anything else.
On any machine I own I will NEVER under any circumstances assume that something like this might be a problem with the light itself, or the sender switch or anything like that. This assumption has been made by people in this forum only to cause very serious engine damage in a few short minutes. The last time I had an oil light come on in an automobile I immediately shut off the engine, coasted to the shoulder of the road and had it towed. THEN I put in a tee and ran it to a pressure gauge. In that case it actually WAS the sender unit and I replaced it for small change. I had a friend who, 15 years ago, had an oil light come on and assumed it was just the light... he drove home and wondered why it was running so funny near the end of his short trip. He toasted the engine and had to replace it.
So its simple, never assume it is a problem with the light, get a pressure gauge on it and check.

·
Registered
295 Posts
When was your last oil change? Did you put in the recommended oil? Did you add any additives to the oil? The wrong kind of oil can break down and can cause your clutch to slip when the engine is up to temp.

If you're getting both the oil light and the clutch is slipping, then either there is a problem with the oil, or there is some major problem internally (most likely the pump).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi guys

Thanks for the reply's First off yes there is oil in the system and it is the recommended oil for the bike. i did my last oil change about 1000 or so miles ago may even be less. really don't want to take it to the main dealer unless i have too due to the cost the charge for doing anything is about 40% more than anywhere else and im tight well poor ether why i have no money so need to save it where i can.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I'm willing to bet money its the oil pressure sensor. Its located on right hand side of engine just below the timing cover. It should be covered w/ a black rubber cover. There is only one wire connected to it. The thing is basically a banjo bolt supplying oil to the head.

In theory you could get a banjo bolt for a double line brake system (just like the one holding your brake lines to the RF caliper) tap the end of it and plumb in a pressure gauge. I don't have the tools to do it but should be fairly simple.

Remember that you have to keep the oil line hooked up because it feeds oil directly to the head. Now once you confirm if you have pressure or not is where the fun starts. If your pressure is right make sure the sensor has a good clean connection or just replace it.

http://www.bikebandit.com/triumph-motorcycle-daytona-600-650-2004/o/m17609

#26 on the diagram.

If not start w/ the filter and work you way to the oil pump. I think its behind the timing cover but its been awhile since messed with it.

Hope this helped

·
Registered
493 Posts
Hi Snail Pace,
I'll bow out after this short post, I just wanted to say I definitely can appreciate being poor, I've been there too often myself. Kubbie's advice sounds good... you do not need an expensive setup to check it out... just do some creative plumbing. (Its OK to route a line to a guage but make sure you keep the lines open that maintain the original flow like Kubbie said) I used a double banjo bolt and an extra fitting on my Bonneville too. Hopefully your oil pressure is just fine, but I cannot tell you the specs for it. Can anyone tell Snail what his oil pressure should be? If the specs are not published can anyone tell him what their own machine might be getting so he has a reference?
If I run across anything more relevant to add I'll post again but in the meantime I'll defer to the Daytona owners. I wish you the best of luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the advice you have given me, i have been out and bought a new pressure switch. cheaper than i thought cost £26 from triumph. fitted it today so will be out for a spin tomorrow so will let you know the out come after my test ride. once again thatnks for the help

Andy

·
Super Moderator
8,474 Posts
Your ears should be able to tell you if you have oil pressure problems. Does the bike rattle even more than normal? If it does, be careful with it!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
well guys took the bike for a spin today and sadly after about 40 miles of riding i drew up to some traffic lights where i sat for around 2min as the temp rised i was greeted by the dreaded red oil warning light again. had a great ride out with the bike running at around the 78 degree mark, but as soon as i stopped the temp went up and the light came on so the switch didn't solve it. i believe there is a switch in the sump if so what are the chances of this causing the fault? or am i just best off biting the bullet and buying a new pump?

oh and Happy new year to everyone

Andy

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Alright now its time to find the actual pressure in the bike.

The manual states "4.6 Bars @6000 rpm (@ 80 degree C oil temp)". you'll need to convert to "American English"

You should check the clearances in the oil pump and hope its within spec cuz T is proud of the entire assembly, #1. Ouch!
http://www.bikebandit.com/triumph-motorcycle-daytona-600-650-2004/o/m17609

If that checks out my next guess is the pressure relief valve. Its a pain to get to.
1. pull exhaust
2. pull oil pan
3. pull and clean oil pick-up (black thing hanging down after pan is off)
4. the thing the pick-up tube slides into is the relief valve

don't think there is a rebuild kit so would need to replace

Try this info out & let us know.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts