Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man I hate for my first Thread to be this. I've been lurking awhile.
Anyway, I bought a 03 Bonneville has 6200 miles, I rode it yesterday about 50 miles ( outside temp was about 100) no problems. Love the bike, it is what a motorcycle should be!!
Me and wife spent 3 hours washing,cleaning and polishing everything.
Today I let it warm up before a ride and the oil light is glowing. I shut it off and check the oil level its good. Start it back up oillight is on, motor starts light goes out but then starts coming back on again, slowly getting brighter. I pulled cam cover and hit start, it shot oil out from whereever. I did notice that water was in the boot around the oil sensor, dried it out but symptoms still there.

Sorry for the long post, but I really like this bike and want to keepit going. Thanks in advance for ANY help.

·
Registered
895 Posts
It sounds like you have oil pumping about the place. I would have another look at the sensor., water may be in there, has the wife got a hair drier.

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
Wrong grade of oil, (too thin) can cause the oil light to come on at idle. Also tired old oil that hasn't been changed for ages.

In hot climates it may be better to go up to 15w-50 rather than 10w-40 grade.

Another cause is excessively slow idle speed. Should be 1000+-50 RPM.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have sprayed the sensor with wd- 4o today. We washed/cleaned the bike last night. Shouldnt sensor be dry by now??
I idles right around 1000rpm. rev it up and light stays on. If I shut off motor then restart it , light goes out then comes on, dimly at first.
I am going to change the oil and filter and see what that does.

I would rather be riding it. Thanks for the suggestions

·
Registered
495 Posts
If you are changing the filter, change the oil too, you'll have quite a bit out when the filter comes off anyway...

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Bearing in mind this started happening after you washed the bike, I would suspect water in the oil pressure sensor too. I've never had this problem with my Bonnie, but it was a nightmare with my Ducati and apparently a common problem with those bikes. I had the sensor replaced twice on that bike and even though I packed the thing with silicone grease the oil light would frequently glow after I had washed the bike. I used to remove the sensor and stick it on a radiator for a few days and sometimes it would cure it and sometimes not. You may be able to dry out the switch and get it back to normal but I wouldn't bank on it. Trouble is you've always got this niggling feeling in the back of your mind that there might really be a problem with the oil pressure.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I've found that oil switch circuits are usually the problem when the oil light comes on. It would still scare me to ride around or even run the engine with the light on. Just for peace of mind I would think about adding a mechanical oil pressure gauge so you know absolutely what your oil pressure is. An aftermarket gauge will probably cost around the same as a new sending unit from Triumph.
As for an oil change, definetly get that done. You said it was 100°, I live in AZ and when I do a summer oil change I switch to Mobil 1 20/50 (specially formulated for air cooled V-Twins):). I don't think the oil will know it's a parallel twin.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Light

As said- sounds like water in switch? DX the light & put a guage on if you got the $$. I always did hate idiot lights. Called that for a reason! These bikes dont like water much!! Used to have a 240 Z that the OP would (guage elec) would go to 0 on occasion! Scared the hell outa me till I just got used to it. You said got lots of oil flinging so I wouldnt worry really. You got 0 OP- you got noise etc to go with!! The xtra hot weather will make the OP stuff do wierd things ! I rode yesterday & didnt even look @ the light. Cant really see it on a bright day anyway! Youll be OK- Ride & enjoy!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the help guys..... I think its fixed. I messed with the connection on pressure switch a little and changed the oil and filter.
It had a HIFLOFILTRO HF-191 and unknown oil? Now it has a Wix 51358 filter and 4 quarts of Castrol 20-50 motorcycle oil. I live in a small town and the mobil 1 recommended oil wasnt available, The nearest Triumph dealer is about 75 miles away.
Anyway a big thumbs up to you guys, THANKS

1 - 11 of 11 Posts