Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys im new to site and have just bought a 1999 thunderbird sport.As this bike was sitting around for 2 years i changed the oil and filter.i drain 4.5 litres out,but when refilling oil i can only put 3 litres in any more it over fills the inspection glass.i have started and taken for a run and i am checking when on the center stand.The book says 4 litres what am i doing wrong[i did drain from 17mm bottom drain plug]thanks for any help and advise

·
Premium Member
3,793 Posts
I'd say it was overfilled when you drained it. Mine takes a bit over 3 us quarts to refill it when changing the oil. The 4 literes in the book is for a total engine rebuild. There is quite a bit of oil still inside the engine when you drain it. It is in the oil passages, etc. and does not come out with a simple draining.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
No disrespect dave but I don't think you can drain 4.5 litres out of a 4 litre base. As for trying to get four litres back in it just won't happen, there is always some left in there.;)

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
I'd say it was overfilled when you drained it. Mine takes a bit over 3 us quarts to refill it when changing the oil. The 4 literes in the book is for a total engine rebuild. There is quite a bit of oil still inside the engine when you drain it. It is in the oil passages, etc. and does not come out with a simple draining.
.......+1

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I agree on it being overfilled. The only other explanation is if gasoline mixed with it from leaky carb inlet needles but I am certain you would have smelled that...:)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for your replies..the bike must have been overfilled by last owner.His just read the book and put 4 litres in.Thanks for putting my mind at rest as i did not to run the bike under/overfilled.You do check on centerstand and when cold thanks again

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just spoken to technical support ..he told me check when warm allow to stand for 10 min stand the bike upright on the tyres and then check level..the book does not say that..

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
When on the center stand the bike is leaning forward and the oil is then forward in the case.
If you level the bike while on the center stand by raising the front you can then get the level correct.

I don't have a center stand on my TBS but that is the way I did it on bikes I've owned in the past, in fact I made a wooden wedge that I would be able to slide under the front wheel until the bike was level and then checked the oil in the sight.
This is actually better because if your working area has a slope the bike sitting on the wheels may also have a slope. Or if you have changed the bike suspension it will not be level on a level surface.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Checking Oil Level

This technique may not apply to the legend or the sport due to different sized tyres but for the Tbird Standard I have found that an Ice Hockey puck under the front wheel will level the bike on the centre stand.

I always carry one with me as I use it under the side stand when parking on warm asphalt or soft ground.

Don't know about the rest of the world but Hockey pucks are easy to come by in Canada.

Cheers

Bob

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
The Oil Sight Glass........

...... is the most useless and badly designed feature of our machines. Paint it black! All over! When having drained the oil and replaced the filter pour in 3.5 litres, that will not need checking until the next oil /filter change unless visible signs of oil usage are present i.e. clouds of blue smoke from the exhaust or puddles of oil under the bike when stationary, both of which are very rare!

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
just spoken to technical support ..he told me check when warm allow to stand for 10 min stand the bike upright on the tyres and then check level..the book does not say that..
That is like when you call tech support for you computer and they tell you to defragment your hard drive. The last I knew molecules expand when heated.

Kem

Kinetic theory of matter: All matter is made up of atoms and molecules that are constantly moving.
When heat is added to a substance, the molecules and atoms vibrate faster. As atoms vibrate faster, the space between atoms increases. The motion and spacing of the particles determines the state of matter of the substance. The end result of increased molecular motion is that the object expands and takes up more space.
Solid at Different Temperatures

Mass of the object remains the same, however. Solids, liquids and gases all expand when heat is added. When heat leaves all substances, the molecules vibrate slower. The atoms can get closer which results in the matter contracting. Again, the mass is not changed.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Quite so, Kem. Tho' I think a fuller explanation is the 'particles' (mostly empty space with a few bits of vibrating stringy things according to the most prevalent current view) that make up the atoms having different engergy states which can get raised by heating.

Which reminds me of that other amazing fact - Pauli's exclusion principle IIRC - whereby no two electrons in the entire universe can simultaneously occupy precisely the same energy state. When we boil a kettle, something somewhere, maybe light years away, probably has to change energy state to accomodate it. Proof, if ever there was, that at the sub atomic level, we (& everything) are all 'connected' in some way with a means of communication as yet unknown to physics. Lending some scientific credence to the empirical 'knowing' that we're 'all one' experienced by users of the more interesting psychoactive substances naturally occurring in Earth's biosphere.....so I'm told, your honour :D

Anyhow,

Pretty sure my owners manual says to check oil level when rnine's cold - mostly like every other vehicle on the planet. But checking whilst warm, say on a long run at a brief stop, can at least give some idea if the level is getting low. That is, if all is ok, the level will read high up (or higher) than the sight glass.

However, as already pointed out, since the glass is at one end of the pan, any incline of the road surface & the apparent level moves a lot.

i had to do some head scratching (with apologies to whoever or whatever might have had to experience some complimentary change in energy state) when I changed the front & rear ride heights after changing suspenion parts - lower front & higher rear meant the oil level was always above the glass.

What I did was to determine a certain thickness of wooden blocks to put under the sidestand to make the level viewable again. I also check the oil with the bike stood in the same place under the carport. As a cross check one time, I measured the oil (& filter) drain quantity & then refilled with the same amount. It proved to be accurate enough. IIRC the quantity was 3.4 litres which seemed a sensible figure.

So, the sight glass, whilst maybe not Triumph's finest hour, I guess can be useful under certain prescribed & repeatable circumstances.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I just can't figure out how to hold the bike level safely and still see the sight glass. Maybe I could tape a mirror to the toe of my shoe, but then I'd probably be arrested for being a pervert...
hahaha.. You wanted a unique bike right? didn't say anything about it being sensible!

I just crouch down and pull on the handlebars till I see the level in the sight glass... if the bike ends up on top of me it means i need oil

·
Registered
652 Posts
...... is the most useless and badly designed feature of our machines. Paint it black! All over! When having drained the oil and replaced the filter pour in 3.5 litres, that will not need checking until the next oil /filter change unless visible signs of oil usage are present i.e. clouds of blue smoke from the exhaust or puddles of oil under the bike when stationary, both of which are very rare!
I'd much rather have the sightglass than the dipstick on the Tiger! Checking the oil level is a real lottery and leads to moments of panic! :eek:

I understand that on the Explorer Triumph have returned to the sightglass - good!

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
hahaha.. You wanted a unique bike right? didn't say anything about it being sensible!

I just crouch down and pull on the handlebars till I see the level in the sight glass... if the bike ends up on top of me it means i need oil
Way to funny Jr. Jr. was wondering why you always put your helmet on to check your oil :eek:.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Oil Sight Glass

I'd much rather have the sightglass than the dipstick on the Tiger! Checking the oil level is a real lottery and leads to moments of panic! :eek:

I understand that on the Explorer Triumph have returned to the sightglass - good!
Me too! But a sight glass that is of appropriate size and one where by the oil level is easily and accurately read. Just like the one fitted to my 955!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts