Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always understood oil levels to go up when hot and lower when cold. Why am i getting the opposite on my Bonnie?

·
Registered
959 Posts
I've always understood oil levels to go up when hot and lower when cold. Why am i getting the opposite on my Bonnie?
Are you looking at it immediately after shutting the bike off? Perhaps you're seeing a lower level because the oil has not yet drained back from the head and oil cooler.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I suppose if the shape of the sump the the material it's made of mean that its volume increases more with temperature than the oil it holds then the level would go down as temperature goes up. The same applies to other areas which hold oil such as the cooler.
Are you giving the oil time to run back down to the sump?

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I did it right after, yes. But I usually do it that way when I get to work and it reads higher on cooler days, i think. I just thought hotter oil would seep back into the pan quicker. I did use their new Blue formula last oil change msybe that's it or maybe it's just evaporation through the breather filter and i need to add more. 15k on the clock it better not be going past the rings.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I suppose if the shape of the sump the the material it's made of mean that its volume increases more with temperature than the oil it holds then the level would go down as temperature goes up. The same applies to other areas which hold oil such as the cooler.
Are you giving the oil time to run back down to the sump?
The engine was probably the hottest it's ever been. It never sizzles when i lick my finger and touch the cylinder like it did today. I hope i didn't do the wrong think by driving it on a 97 degree day.

I love the fact tath with an air head i know it's not my bike when i smell burning coolant, but i get nervous on really hot days

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Vol

I am not sure how it quite relates to air cooled bikes but certainly levels go up on short trips because the engine doesnt get hot enough to get rid of all the water produced in the initial start up and build up to operating temp. Then you go on a long trip and the oil level drops? just the water all evaporating. So ambient temp. length of trip, manufacturing tolerances, type of oil etc will all make a difference.
I would worry more if there is a pool on the floor and what comes out the exhaust.;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I drove over the rode 33 1/2 years and we ALWAYS check the oil when the engine is cold before we start the truck. I do in my car and T-100 also.
Ride Safe
Pilgrim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.