Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got my street Twin 1st service at the place I purchased.
I needed to pick up some parts, It is 60 miles away, I decided to let them do the 1st service while I was there.
I normally do all my own service work including valve adjustments, but Iwas feeling lazy and the price was right.

Since I returned a week ago, I noticed oil under my bike, not a lot, but a few drops per day, I decided to make sure the level wasn't dropping too low.
I put the bike on the center stand in my garage and checked the sight glass, I saw no level, My 1st thought was, I was VERY low! ... I got down lower with a flashlight and noticed a tiny bubble at the very top of the sight glass... I am wondering if being on the center stand had anything to do it?
I don't have any help to hold the bike to check in normal position, But I figured being on a center stand wouldn't show that much difference since we have an "oil range" and apparently I am way above max.
Is it possible the excessive oil is being blown out?, My dealer says there is no overflow.I don't want to ride 60 miles to have them dump a half liter of oil when I can do that on my own.

So, Can I get a fair assessment of my oil level while on the center stand?

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
So, Can I get a fair assessment of my oil level while on the center stand?
Yes. What you're seeing is the level after the bike has been resting for hours. To get the proper level use the procedure detailed on manual page 80:

Start the engine and run at idle for
approximately five minutes. Stop the
engine and wait for at least three
minutes to allow the oil to settle.
Note the oil level visible in the sight
glass.
When correct, oil should be visible in the
sight glass at a point midway between
the upper (maximum) and lower
(minimum) markings on the sight glass.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes. What you're seeing is the level after the bike has been resting for hours. To get the proper level use the procedure detailed on manual page 80:

Start the engine and run at idle for
approximately five minutes. Stop the
engine and wait for at least three
minutes to allow the oil to settle.
Note the oil level visible in the sight
glass.
When correct, oil should be visible in the
sight glass at a point midway between
the upper (maximum) and lower
(minimum) markings on the sight glass.
Thank you for the reply,
I check my oil shortly after a ride, after the oil settles a bit.

I got lucky and my neighbor was outside, I got him to sit on my bike while I checked with a flashlight... It shows a little larger bubble (less over filled) in the top of the sight glass while off the center stand, but still way over the mark... At least I have an idea of the parameters now, It is not that much of a difference, So, Yes, You can determine fairly accurately while on the center stand.

·
Registered
6,142 Posts
Sometimes after an oil change there can be a few drips from residual oil which collected on the bike. It's not 1969 though and the bikes shouldn't leak. Clean up the underside and if the drips persist, find the cause. The filter might need tightening a hair or the drain bolt. Just don't get aggressive. :)

As for checking the level hot, after the oil has had a chance to settle, no help in this house either holding the bike upright and level. You only have to do this once. Get a riding buddy, etc. to hold the bike level. Note where the oil is in the sight glass. When you ride it home, then put it on the center stand and note where the level now falls. From this observation you'll know where to maintain that level. On my T-100 it rarely varies between changes though.

Both wheels on the ground vs on the center stand, the level will vary slightly with the rear wheel lifted but not a ton. Since new I've used the above procedure to check my Ducati on which I use a slick through-the-rear-axle rear stand which lifts the rear a bit higher than a center stand. It uses a tiny bit more oil between changes than the T-100 though.

·
Registered
6,142 Posts
I got lucky and my neighbor was outside, I got him to sit on my bike while I checked with a flashlight...
Sitting ON the bike, you may get a slightly false reading vs holding the bike level and unladen. The slightest change in angles can make a big difference in the sight glass level.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sometimes after an oil change there can be a few drips from residual oil which collected on the bike. It's not 1969 though and the bikes shouldn't leak. Clean up the underside and if the drips persist, find the cause. The filter might need tightening a hair or the drain bolt. Just don't get aggressive. :)

As for checking the level hot, after the oil has had a chance to settle, no help in this house either holding the bike upright and level. You only have to do this once. Get a riding buddy, etc. to hold the bike level. Note where the oil is in the sight glass. When you ride it home, then put it on the center stand and note where the level now falls. From this observation you'll know where to maintain that level. On my T-100 it rarely varies between changes though.

Both wheels on the ground vs on the center stand, the level will vary slightly with the rear wheel lifted but not a ton. Since new I've used the above procedure to check my Ducati on which I use a slick through-the-rear-axle rear stand which lifts the rear a bit higher than a center stand. It uses a tiny bit more oil between changes than the T-100 though.
I wanted to drain a bit of the oil, so I picked up another crush washer, Used a clean pan, :note to self, Be on the side with the window while draining: I got lucky and drained it almost perfect, about 1/3rd a liter, Did not use new crush washer, I'll use the new one if it still leaks.

I noticed the treads were not smooth as I was trying to back out the drain plug... I have never removed a drain plug that I couldn't remove with fingers after it was broke loose. It stuck about 1/4 of the way out and I had to put a wrench on it, I could feel rough resistance for a couple of turns with the wrench, and then it freed up. About the same screwing it back in.

Anyway, I hope I got rid of the leak and I'm glad the level is down to where it should be.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Perhaps your Street Twin has the same problem as the Thruxtons. The user manual leaves out a crucial bit of information. The oil level reads high unless the bike is on a rear stand. This is the case with both my 2014 and 2016 Thruxtons. Brand new, both bikes showed oil levels near the top of the sight glass, well pass the marks in the middle of the glass. This was with the bike held level and plumb on its wheels. Drained and refilled according to specified capacity the oil level reads high, just like the factory fill, unless the bike is on a rear stand.

I carefully measured the refill on my first oil/filter change on my 2016 Thruxton. Put in 3 quarts and ran the engine briefly to ensure the filter was full. Added an additional 19 ounces of oil, which brought the level up to the center marks of the sight glass when on the rear stand; same as with the factory fill. The specs call for 3 quarts 19 ounces for an oil/filter change.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Perhaps your Street Twin has the same problem as the Thruxtons. The user manual leaves out a crucial bit of information. The oil level reads high unless the bike is on a rear stand. This is the case with both my 2014 and 2016 Thruxtons. Brand new, both bikes showed oil levels near the top of the sight glass, well pass the marks in the middle of the glass. This was with the bike held level and plumb on its wheels. Drained and refilled according to specified capacity the oil level reads high, just like the factory fill, unless the bike is on a rear stand.

I carefully measured the refill on my first oil/filter change on my 2016 Thruxton. Put in 3 quarts and ran the engine briefly to ensure the filter was full. Added an additional 19 ounces of oil, which brought the level up to the center marks of the sight glass when on the rear stand; same as with the factory fill. The specs call for 3 quarts 19 ounces for an oil/filter change.
That seems a bit odd, because we are told in the manual how to read to oil measurement, "Flat and level" ... If you follow 'By the book" instructions and do your own oil changes, You will short your oil.

I didn't see the mechanic do the oil change, but I have seen other mechanics do it on a lift table with a front wheel chock. The bike is flat and level during oil change.

So far my oil leak has stopped and sight glass readings are perfect... or not... Now I don't know what to think.

·
Registered
6,142 Posts
Check it on the ground as it would be on a lift with a front wheel chock, not with the rear wheel elevated.

Reactions: BGM360

·
Registered
1998 T595 Daytona 2014 Kawasaki Ninja1000ABS
7,989 Posts
It's not rocket science. Level and plumb is all you need for any bike with a sight glass.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
It's not rocket science. Level and plumb is all you need for any bike with a sight glass.
Correct. And, level should be checked with the engine cold, before riding. This has always been the case; don't know why Triumph added the unnecessary verbiage to the owner's handbook. They did the same thing with checking drive chain tension, taking something very simple and making it complicated.

·
Registered
672 Posts
don't know why Triumph added the unnecessary verbiage to the owner's handbook. They did the same thing with checking drive chain tension, taking something very simple and making it complicated.
correct :well done

·
Registered
672 Posts
don't know why Triumph added the unnecessary verbiage to the owner's handbook. They did the same thing with checking drive chain tension, taking something very simple and making it complicated.

:thumbsup

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
I find trying to hold the bike and look into that window the level just not accurate. I put the bike on the center stand to check oil these days. This bike for some reason never use oil, no matter what.

·
Registered
16 Street Twin | 07 Sprint ST
171 Posts
I use the same trick I learned when I had my 2000 Tbird: I sit on the bike and use a mirror-on-a-stick to view the oil sight glass. It's easy to keep the bike upright and level.

-Alan

·
Registered
6,142 Posts

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
I've tried to use a level sitting cross the seat and even that did not work, slightest movement and bubble is flopping around from side to side. Becomes a fools tool trying to keep the bubble in the middle of that sight glass.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
...and this is an improvement over the dipstick?? The engineering and parts to put in a sight glass has to be more than a simple plastic stick with a couple of marks on it.
Hey, so simple that even a "village idiot" can do it: Jim

1 - 20 of 22 Posts