Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Another day, more over analyzation.
Ive been noticing these bubbles after shutoff, they disappear rather rapidly and I know I’m probably just worrying too much(as usual) but thought I’d ask.
Are these something to worry about? The oil level is right under the top line for reference.
(Running 5w40 Rotella syn in my t100 if anyone was wondering)

·
Registered
373 Posts
You have water in the oil. You need to get the engine up to operating temperature every time you start it.
The engine heat will burn off any moisture.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You have water in the oil. You need to get the engine up to operating temperature every time you start it.
The engine heat will burn off any moisture.
I probably just don’t ride it hard enough tbh

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Too high oil level will cause that. You are checking oil with the bike straight up, on the center stand, not on the side stand?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Too high oil level will cause that. You are checking oil with the bike straight up, on the center stand, not on the side stand?
Yep. Center stand. Put in just under a gallon at the change. That’s what? 3.7 liters? I’ll just let Some out in the morning

·
Premium Member
1,954 Posts
if they disappear rather rapidly probably as you say, just some aeration from internal turbulence while the oil is circulating around. perfectly normal, and your level is spot on. so leave alone!

even if it is water condensation it will evaporate out after a good ride. 12km to completely warm the bike up to a uniform normal temperature will do it.

don't even think about trying to drain some oil out. it will end messy for absolutely no purpose or gain

·
Registered
11,037 Posts
Level is spot on if that's it after standing overnight. If it's that level right after a ride, it's probably too high.

A "normal" oil change for me involves not more than 3.7 quarts of oil, or 3.5 liters. I do an oil change with 3.6 quarts, take a ride, and check the level hours later or the next morning.

The only semi-clean way to remove oil is with a big syringe and plastic tubing, or a vacuum pump.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
This is just some minor foam from the engine being run. Some oils foam a little more than others. Nothing to worry about. It is not "water in your oil". If it WERE, the oil would be milky looking. Level should be approximately at 1/2 sight glass when the bike is level. ...J.D.

·
Administrator
3,339 Posts
There is nothing wrong as Mr. WW stated.
Oil gets agitated and produces foam and some bubbles. They go away quickly when the motor is at rest. A milky color after it sits is a different problem - which you do not have and is found in water-cooled bikes.

You need to ride more and not worry about what to worry about next...

• Haha
Reactions: Wire-Wheels

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I am an almost 76 yr. Old headgear that has been working on engines since I was about 12. I am constantly amazed how anal non technical people can get about things like oil. These people have a few other such hang ups but that I won't get in to. Just put the grade and viscosity recommended by the manufacturer and ride. When it gets old change it ! Simple. No brand loyalties or additives needed. Just relax and enjoy the ride :D ...J.D.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
I’ve always dumped the entire gallon jug of blue-jug 5w40 Rotella in my ‘04 Speedmaster (and my’09 while I had it).
That extra .3 of a quart never showed overfilled in my sight glass, but it might push a drop or two out of the crankcase vent tube after a long hard ride. Only leak it ever had, and that wasn’t even a leak. More like leaving sign of it having been there.

If ridden often but only short trips, or just starting to run it and idling it for a while, condensation can accumulate. I’ve always advocated for changing oil by the calendar as most people take way too long to get to oil change mileage. Especially cagers.

·
Registered
11,037 Posts
The usual reason for not overfilling is to avoid blowing oil into the airbox.

Reactions: stoanee
1 - 12 of 12 Posts