Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I covered about 800 miles during the weekend and found that my bike weeps oil, from the clutch actuator lever (on top of the clutch cover), both hard lines leading to the oil cooler, oil cooler itself, and where the starter mates with the case. The bike performed beautifully, but these things are kind of irritating on a bike with 1400 miles. Is this to be expected? I will call the dealer when they open tomorrow and get an appointment to have this stuff resolved. What are your experiences out there?

Thanks in advance,
Drazen

·
Banned
788 Posts
I MIGHT be seeing the same thing? On each side of the oil cooler, on the bottom, there's a silver kind of sharply oval shaped fitting that I had thick, gooey oil covering each fitting, then the oil cooler itself had a thick-ish film of oil on it. Is that a leak that you're talking about? My bike is 2 weeks old, if that, with 1100 miles on it and I was hoping this was just a build up of road grind but it REALLY looks like oil...didn't wanna believe it since it is brand new. The thought of leaving my bike at the dealer SUCKS big time since it's my main way to get around the NASTY southern California traffic all week.

[ This message was edited by: dblhelx on 2007-07-09 17:01 ]

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is the stuff. I cant believe that is just the ***** from the road. I was riding with a bunch of Japanese bikes, and these things were dirty, but not a spot of oil on any of their engines. The clutch cover one is bad. Its starting to leak down the side of the case. :(

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Mine has a cracked oil cooler just above the flange..

still waiting for a backordered cooler to come in..

It leaks on my exhaust pipe and smokes a bit. the amount is small but enough to make me made at quality control

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just looking at all the the stuff from Japan it makes you wonder why Triumph cant make this thing oil tight. All thoughts of it go away after I go for a ridet though, this bike is that sweet.

·
Banned
788 Posts
2007 and a cracked oil cooler????? ***. I need to check that when I get home. I can understand a bad gasket/O-ring...not TOO freaky for a new bike...but a cracked oil cooler? geeeez.

I'm sorry, but where exactly is the crack? Thanks.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Mine seems to weep a bit of oil out of the actuator pivot/clutch cover, and from the oil cooler. There is no appreciable loss of oil.

I'm going to give it some time to "bed in" before I start looking at it hard. Sometimes with new machinery, it takes time for that stuff to tighten up.

I'm not concerned. That's what the warranty is for.
[Ending a sentence in a preposition is something up with which I will not put.]

Zip

·
Registered
85 Posts
Seems to be a general problem with our 07's. Mine did the same thing the first couple weeks. It seems to have stopped but I'm not positive.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I cleaned it last night and checked the oil level. Oil level looked good, so I am not too worried about it, but it would be very nice if it did not leak. If it persists, to the dealer she goes. :-D

·
Registered
711 Posts
Cosmoline????????????

Most of the time these new Triumph oil leaks turn out to be due to residual cosmoline working it's way out of all the nooks and crannies. It can take several washes to get it all and it will look much like oil/road grime. There are always the rare seal or cooler fitting that is bad so monitoring the oil level is a wise and prudent practice regardless.

Cheers
Bob

Cosmoline clicky thingy Here

·
Registered
492 Posts
bob,
Sure does look like a lot of cosmoline around the oil cooler on the left. The rag comes back with a golden yellow and black residue. I think it could be rust inhibitor.

Zip

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Interesting! Thanks guys. I will wash and monitor and see what happens.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts