Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to find the source of the leaking oil on my 04' America. From what I have searched and read, it seems like the cam cover bolts, head bolts, and the oil cooler bolts should be checked and re-torqued. My question is, does anybody have the torque specs for these particular bolts and also the sequence for tightening the head bolts? Any other recommendations on what to check? Planning a trip from Dallas to Big Bend NP at the end of March and I want to get everything sured up prior the leaving. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Valve cover 10Nm, oil line bolts to the cooler have different torques, depending on where they go. Have you thought of getting a manual? There is a downloadable Triumph one floating around somewhere.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the Haynes manual on order, I was just getting the bug to tinker. Thanks for the download, I will check it out. After further inspection it appears that maybe the oil is leaking from between the cylinder head(?) (where the finned black and alloy pieces meet) at the front of the bike, directly under where the exhaust pipes mount into the engine. Does this mean there is a bad gasket, or something else that maybe a common problem? The bike runs great, no smoking, not using a noticeable amount of oil, but i still dont like the idea of an oil leak.

jordan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts