Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Was riding yesterday at the Distinguished Gentlemen's Ride in NYC and could smell oil burning. Pulled off the ride about half way through, as my spidey sense was tingling, headed home.
Parked the bike and saw the oil leak stains on the left exhaust. Looks like it was leaking from above the gear level from what i can only guess is the Clutch slave. (round with 3 screws and a bleed nipple on top).

Thought back to the ride and remembered the bike shutoff/stalled when i tried moving on second gear (traffic). There was a sharp cracking sound when the bike stalled, after that is when the burning smell started.

What do you guys see .... hope its an easy fix :)

Attachments

·
Registered
443 Posts
I don't think that's oil. The Rusty color makes me think its water, but that's the slave right above there (as you guessed) so it very well might be brake fluid from the clutch.

How's the level in the clutch master cylinder?
Does it have any other symptoms besides stalling once and smelling?

Can you start it and watch it and see if you can better pin-point the leak?

If that's brake fluid... wipe it up quick, it's very corrosive.

Scott

·
Registered
101 Posts
I can see a drip from the bottom bolt on the slave cylinder If you put your finger on the liquid and it doesn,t feel slippery its brake fluid,pop those 3 bolts off and put a container under the cylinder after you remove it. btw i mentioned slippery on the off chance its coolant and the burning oil smell was someone else,s bike

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Apologies for the delayed reply and thank you all for your replies. Work has been ... blah blah blah.

Finally got to the bike, cleaned it with a de-greaser and everything wiped clean and easy. The drip feels slippery like lubricant, so im guessing its some kind of oil. Not sure what brake fluid feels like. It did not drip after i cleaned it all up, went for a short ride and it did start a drip from the same place, bottom bolt of the clutch slave.

Other symptoms
- Gears feel a bit notchy
- 1st and second gear feels like i have to increase RPMs from 1500 - 2000 for a smoother start (it feels like that, not entirely sure)

@Scott, pretty sure its oil and the two cylinders on the handle bars look like they have fluids. The oil level indicator is about right.
@ferger, the drip is from the bottom bolt of the slave. I removed the screws and pried it half way out, didnt see a washer/seal/gasket.
Its definitely leaking from there though.

Any idea what this fluid is and where i should refill it. Do you think the gears have a separate lubricant that needs to be checked ?
Also to fix this leak since there is no gasket/seal, do i need to replace the entire slave ?

Attachments

·
Registered
443 Posts
Brake fluid feels slippery like oil. The color of that on the bike is not right for oil, oil doesn't dry to a tan color. It runs and then collects dust.

·
Premium Member
3,416 Posts
I'm guessing it's brake fluid from the clutch cylinder. (Dirty brake fluid... when you fix it you should also replace all the fluid.) Wipe it off then squeeze the clutch lever and tie it in place. See if the drip reforms. Also, if it is the clutch, then when you first squeeze the clutch it should be possible to roll the bike in gear, but, the longer you hold it the more it will re-engage itself, to the point where you can no longer roll the bike in gear.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Similar

I've had a similar oil leak ever since I had the alternator bolt replaced. The dealer tried three different o-rings on the alternator, and the leak persists.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Pretty sure I have this same issue, though without the rusty colour going on. Gonna try and change the clutch arm rod seal when I do the chain and sprockets this weekend, fingers crossed that solves it.

I do also have rattling alternator syndrome, so I guess the leak could be deeper in the bike and to do with that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've got the same leak going on. Anyone nail it down? Would some rtv seal the slave, where it looks to leak from?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts