Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Due to a misaligned valve cover gasket (my fault) some oil leaked into the middle spark plug well.

To remove the oil I have already:
  • got as much of it out manually as I could with plug still in place. Used turkey baster and child's medicine syringe
  • pulled the plug to let standing oil drain down into the cyl. I did not try to clean it out with PB blaster or other petrosolvent since any dirt would drain into the cyl
  • ran the cyl a few times with plug out to force excess oil back out the plug hole
  • re-installed the spark plug after cleaning it to get any oil residue off
At this point, there is still a little residual oil in the spark plug well. On a bike with exposed spark plugs this would burn off as the engine heats, but this probably won't happen with the enclosed plugs on the triples.

Can I ride it as is or do I have to get those surfaces oil free? Any thoughts, comments, suggestions?

Yes, I'll be more careful as I install a new valve cover gasket.

·
Registered
2018 Speedmaster
169 Posts
I am no expert but IMO, since many people pull the plugs and put a few drops of oil into the cylinder when they winterize their bikes each year I don't believe the oil will hurt anything. As long as no dirt or sand gets past the plug you should be good. You could also tape a drinking straw to a shop vac and get more oil out. I do this before pulling plugs to make sure the area around them is clean.

·
Premium Member
3,993 Posts
Stop worrying....

Unless there's debris in there hard enough and big enough to get caught between the pistion and head, you can flush it into the cylinder and out the exhaust. If you're really anal about it, position the cylinder near TDC with the exhaust valve open and blow compressed air into the plug well. Everything will go out the exhaust.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am no expert but IMO, since many people pull the plugs and put a few drops of oil into the cylinder when they winterize their bikes each year I don't believe the oil will hurt anything. As long as no dirt or sand gets past the plug you should be good. You could also tape a drinking straw to a shop vac and get more oil out. I do this before pulling plugs to make sure the area around them is clean.
thanks. lots of bikes have drainage holes, so cleaning this area is easier. These triumphs do not.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stop worrying....

Unless there's debris in there hard enough and big enough to get caught between the piston and head, you can flush it into the cylinder and out the exhaust. If you're really anal about it, position the cylinder near TDC with the exhaust valve open and blow compressed air into the plug well. Everything will go out the exhaust.
thanks, the debris all looks tiny so I'll pull the plug and shoot some PB blaster in the area. I hadn't considered that the exhaust will expel random crap. I'm not anal enough for the TDC method, but it's a good idea.

·
Registered
2014 Thruxton
378 Posts
Shots of WD40 to thin out oil, shots of air to expel oil followed with shots of electrical cleaner and then air. All with the plug in.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Oh, just fire it up and ride it. Stop obsessing about stuff that doesn't really matter. The excess oil will burn off in short order. Unfortunately, it will leave an ugly mess behind but you can either ignore it or clean it up later. Oil doesn't conduct electricity very well so whatever is there won't matter for the performance of the bike.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh, just fire it up and ride it. Stop obsessing about stuff that doesn't really matter. The excess oil will burn off in short order. Unfortunately, it will leave an ugly mess behind but you can either ignore it or clean it up later. Oil doesn't conduct electricity very well so whatever is there won't matter for the performance of the bike.
Hah, good point. In fairness, my concern was due to:
1. There was a lot of oil welled up, probably all the way up to the leaky gasket, so I had to do something about it. Figured as long as I'm cleaning out the big pool of oil I might as well finish the job.
2. I've done plenty of old Honda's and Suzuki's, but this is my first Triumph resurrection and it has been finicky, so I'm being extra cautious.

Thanks all for the help

·
Registered
19 Speed Twin / 00 TBS
796 Posts
If it starts and you can get it out the driveway then just give it a good thrash. Italian tune up should see it alright.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts