Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ehh. couldn't quite find anything in search that looked like this. looks like oil. is this A Bad Thing?

`ends.

·
30,296 Posts
What you have there, my old mate mucka sunshine, is a leaking cam cover gasket.

A common problem.

It is not good, but not disastrous. This is a known warranty issue, and lot's of folks have simply had their dealers replace the gasket. Yours is under warranty, so I would take that approach.

Do it soon, just to get it done, and keep an eye on the oil level. Your engine won't sieze or anything because of the leak as long as your level is correct, and even though it looks horrific, you're not going to run out of oil on your next ride.

Mine leaked a bit, I chose to fix mine myself by cleaning the gasket and surfaces carefully, and reassembling.

On a new bike though, you should ping the dealer.

Some folks also run a tiny bead of high temp RTV sealant around the gasket when reassembling, although with this kind of gasket you really shouldn't have to - but if it reoccurs it's an easy fix.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
+1... To fix it yourself would take a torque wrench plus "allen" sockets, and possibly a new gasket. The bolts that hold the cam cover on go into the caps that hold the cams in place, so they should be tightened only to the specified torque and no tighter lest damage occur to the cam caps. That would be much more serious than a small oil leak.:(

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks! i hope this thread combined with the images helps out someone else in the future.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I just stepped off my bike and noticed the exact same leak, (right side for me), I just called the dealer and they said it might be covered by warranty but they can't tell unless they see the bike.

I know it's any easy fix, but come one my bike is 5 months old w/ 2700 miles and it shouldn't leak. The dealer can fix it and Triumph can pay for it.

Are there any other common problems to look out for?

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Mine was leaking, albeit not that bad, by the time I took her in for her first service. Your dealer will replace the gasket under warranty. Mine did at least 3 times. Another thing to watch out for is the cheap fuel petcock. I had 2 of them replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
If you fix it yourself .If the bolts are tight ,get the rubbers under the bolts .They are what the bolts tighten on and if they are to thin you wont get even a new gasket to seal.I learned that the hard way.If you replace them every time the cover gasket can be reused most times unless its got hard on you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My '09 has a leak too but yours appears to be much worse. Any oil leak always looks much worse than it usually turns out to be! A lot worse when your driveway is sandy like mine is!
The first year of my warranty is up next month, I ought to make that appointment fairly soon. So far, that's the only thing that come up.
I had a Honda rider ask me how is the quality been of my Bonneville and was it good as an everyday rider? I was happy to report that, Hell yes, it has been very dependable and every bit as reliable as his Honda CB900 is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts