Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed an oil leak on my 16 T-bird the other day, in front of both pistons just below the exhaust pipes, bike has 13,000km on it and isn't ridden hard, it's still under warranty but I thought I would ask here as I'm a little distrustful of my local dealer

http://imgur.com/XeCZBfj

And yes, I've heard the joke that real Triumphs are meant to leak there own body weight in oil overnight.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
From your picture, it looks like anti-freeze. If so it is probably caused by a loose coolant hose clamp from the radiator. Easy fix.

If it is an oil leak it may be from the small, oval shaped cover on the front of the engine. Mine leaked there when it was delivered new. A gasket had been improperly installed at the factory. A fairly major top end tear-down was required to replace the gasket, and between getting the part from England and the labor to do the job, it took a week.

·
Registered
19 Posts
It's hard to tell from the picture, but I'd concur with Strato, it looks like coolant fluid. Although, I don't think it's oil leak from the cam chain tensioner (oval cover in front of the engine).
Clean it off with a wet wipe and you'll see if it's oil or coolant, and go from there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was definitely oil, have cleaned it and I'm keeping an eye on it. Weather hasn't been great so have only put on about 150km since I cleaned the area, no signs of it reappearing yet.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Hey Moon, yeah, it'll be from that little cam chain tensioner between the cylinders at the front - there are 2 O-rings behind it, possibly need replacing, but it's worth nipping the two 8mm bolts just in case (but take care, no need to strip them!) that may fix it. Otherwise it's a simple job, but DON'T take the tensioner out yourself - unless the crank is locked properly something slips, and the timing has to be re-set. This happened to me, in my dealer's at the time, and they had some trouble sorting it out, luckily on warranty. I did post on this a few years ago here. If the crank is locked with the right tool it is easy, I gather. Still, nipping the bolts may just fix it... good luck mate - cheers, Pat

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I can't see your pic (dang work e-mail filters) but leaking anti-freeze will dry and leave a white ash-like residue. Trust me, went through several anti-freeze leaks with my new '14 Storm before the Dealer got it sorted out.

Take it to the Dealer pronto but curious to why you don't trust him.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Took it in to the dealer, they say it is the cam cover.
They weren't overly worried about it as it is not leaking badly, (have done about 500km since I cleaned it and there is less oil than in the original pics), they will replace the gasket when I get the 20k service done, (over 15k now) but if it gets any worse, they will do it straight away.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Took it in to the dealer, they say it is the cam cover.
They weren't overly worried about it as it is not leaking badly, (have done about 500km since I cleaned it and there is less oil than in the original pics), they will replace the gasket when I get the 20k service done, (over 15k now) but if it gets any worse, they will do it straight away.
Hey Moondanther, did you ever get a resolution on your issue. I have the same problem with my '17 T-bird storm. Very light streak coming from the front mid half...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts