Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 79 T140E, It wasw given to me by a friend. It sat for at least 15 years. I had the top end overhauled by a local Triumph mechanic while I repainted the frame amd polished chrome.

Upon getting the engine back I threw it back in the frame, mounted it all up, and viola, oil dripping on the floor. This damn thing is like the USS Arizona. I got tied up on other projects and its been sitting for a year now, still leaking.

Anyway, It appears to be comeing from the kick-starter. Is this a common occurence, or at least not a freak thing? And how would one fix the issue? I do have an old manual but i would rather get sound advice from you who have experience.

Any advice would be greatly apprecited.

·
Super Moderator
13,586 Posts
The kickstart shaft uses a bushing that you'll need to replace. You can drive out the old one with a properly sized socket after heating the cover in an oven at 250 for 10 minutes, it should almost FALL out.

When you turn on your oven to pre-heat it, wrap the new bushing in plastic food wrap and set it in your ice tray in the freezer, buried in ice.

After popping out the old bushing, while the cover is still hot, pop the new one out of the freezer and simply tap it in SQUARELY with a plastic hammer or very gently with a regular hammer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so i need to remove the engine and split it then right? how difficult is that? I've never done that. I'll be honest, it does intimidate me.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
You just have to remove the outer cover the kick start shaft is sticking out of. It can be done with the engine in the frame. Not a tough job. Change the seal while you're in there. I think yours also used a gasket under the outer cover.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's a relief. I should.ve looked at it, i would have figured it out. I'm on my way to the parts house today so I will pick up some gaskets and seals.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts