Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just checking to see if anyone has experienced an oil leak from the oil pan on their Street Twin? My bike just turned a little over 2,000 miles and has developed a slow drip from a machined hole in the center of the oil pan / sump. Any clue why there is a hole drilled there and what is it's purpose? Drips whether it's running or just sitting.

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
Congratulations! That's the first genuine oil leak spotted on the new Twins. You win a monogramed Triumph drip tray...:)

There were a few early dribbles from the side covers but they turned out to be a false alarm...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The drain bolt and the seal on the filter are dry. If you look at the oil pan you'll see a hole dead center. That's where it's coming from. I'm wondering if there was some type of plug there that fell out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Spoke with my local dealer today. The service department wasn't aware of any issues on other Street Twins but says to bring it in and they'll check it out. I then spoke with the parts manager to see if he had a decent picture of the oil pan in his catalog. He went out to the showroom and discovered that their new bike was leaking also. (slow drip like mine) They are going to contact Triumph and get back to me.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I took a look at mine and understand where yours is leaking. I don't know the purpose of the machine work there. Thankfully, mine is dry.
Good luck with the repair.

·
Registered
214 Posts
drip

if its coming from that hole to the left of the photo , coud be that theres a hairline crack caused by whatever method is used to make the hole..If thats the case , new sump pan required. By the way , mine looks the same and doesnt leak ..I wonder why triumph did that ?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes that's the source of the leak. My Triumph dealer's current showroom model is leaking also. Very strange. Keeping my fingers crossed that if it needs parts it doesn't take as long as my special ordered luggage rack took to arrive. (3 1/2 months)

·
Registered
214 Posts
quick fix

if you are still running the bike , get a suitable sized rubber bung and stuff it in the hole , will at least slow down the leak a bit until the dealer can sort it out

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
Don't block it...A dealer (the mechanic) should be able to confirm what I'm about to write.

Some of the other water-cooled models also have what appears to be a hole in their sumps. Apparently these are overflows for either oil or water if there's a problem with the water pump shaft seals. Also called "Weep ports".

An excerpt from the T675 manual:

To prevent leakage of water from the cooling system to the lubrication system and vice versa, two seals are fitted on the water pump shaft. There is a drain hole between the seals in the seal housing section of the pump. If either seal fails, the drain allows coolant or oil to escape via a tube through a hole in the sump and prevents them mixing. If on inspection the drain hole shows signs of coolant leakage, remove the pump assemble and replace it with a new one - the seals are not available separately.

A couple of pics showing such a hole, first on the 675:

And one for the Speed triple showing the inside of such a "hole" or overflow:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That sheds some light on this problem. I guess it's best to drop it off for an inspection before possibly causing serious damage.
Thanks for the info

·
Registered
T100R Daytona 1971 & Tiger 850 Sport
302 Posts
Water pump seal drain makes perfect sense. On a new machine it is not unusual for a little surplus lubricant to escape from these. On the engine side of the water pump drive the oil seal is presumably a garter type so no further oil should leak out unless it is faulty. On the water side it is usually a ceramic seal with face to face contact and these can take a few miles for the mating faces to smooth out and match perfectly so a small amount of coolant can continue to drip occasionally. I suspect that the answer will be to run for a few hundred miles to see if the leaking stops. However because the tube in the sump also needs sealing ( an O ring perhaps?) to prevent sump oil leaking that would be another source of an oil leak that would not actually be from the water pump.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
STroadster the leak started around 2,000 miles and I'm currently at 2300. Showing no signs of letting up, if anything it's slightly worse. Dropping it off at dealer tonight. Keeping my fingers crossed that it's a quick and easy fix.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Thanks, Forchetto!

The T120 also has such a hole in the oil pan, which is finished in matte black on all bikes. On mine, there's not any evidence of a leak, drip, or seep, but the area around that hole is slightly darker in shade than the rest of the pan. There's a trace amount of oil there.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Why couldn't they have rerouted that tube? Any hole in the bottom of the oil pan makes me VERY nervous. And if oil WERE to start 'gushing out,' I wonder what that would do to the rear wheel traction?!
I guess I'm not an engineer, 'cause I just don't get it!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The oil level has stayed the same. Neither risen or dropped. Still clean oil (not milky) Coolant level correct also. I suspect that the hose has come loose as you mentioned. The amount of oil dripping out is never very much. 2 or 3 drops overnight after riding and a little more after I ride 25 miles to work.
Thanks everybody for the input

1 - 20 of 42 Posts