Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the bike serviced 40 miles ago. I went to clean the bike today and noticed a light covering of oil around the base of the clutch cover housing. There doesn't appear to be an obvious leak and no oil on the floor. Suggestions?

·
Registered
590 Posts
It could have blown from the oil filter housing, it's pretty close to the clutch cover. Possibly they haven't wiped thouroghly when they changed the filter. First thing I would check.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Woodsie, that was what I suspected. I have cleaned it up and am going to take it out today. This will show if there is an ongoing leak. One other thing, one of the sump bolts near the mess appears to have a rubber washer/seal on it whilst all the others sit flush to the sump. What is this? Is this normal? It is at the epicentre of the spread of oil.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Not sure about the rubber washer/seal mate. Just try it and see what transpires. If you haven't disturbed the sump it shouldnt affect it.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Hearing sump bolt with a rubber washer made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. I am not aware of a sump bolt having a rubber washer but if you can post a photo of the bolt please do so and we can help you out. I am wondering, since it was just serviced and assume there was no issue before, that the shop put a rubber washer on the oil drain sump instead of the aluminum crush washer. Doesn't make any sense to me but sometimes fact is stranger than fiction...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well! I took it for a 40 mile trip. No oil leak. I then took it out again and passed the dealer that serviced it. I called in and told them of my woes. They said they would check it out, which they did. They gave me a Bonnie for the next few hours. When I returned they said they had found no leak and returned my bike to me. They said they had done nothing to the bike other than to clean the underneath. When I crawled underneath to take a photo, obviously the bolt with the washer was still there but the washer had gone. I was either mistaken before or I have moved into the twilight zone. Anyway no leak so I can tour Scotland in 5 weeks with peace of mind. PS: The Bonnie was a nice smooth bike, but nothing like the riding experience of the TBird.

Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
When I crawled underneath to take a photo, obviously the bolt with the washer was still there but the washer had gone. I was either mistaken before or I have moved into the twilight zone.
Or, possibility #3 - the service guy removed the rubber washer and put the correct metal one on, but knowing the ways of lawyers (sorry, barristers?, oh heck, let's just call them lizards), decided to keep his mistake on the QT:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts