Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I have a 2003 955i Speed Triple. After a ride today I noticed that there was some oil seepage coming from the bottom of the clutch outer cover more accurately between the cover and the wide rubber gasket thats next to it, (this cover has the three hex bolts) right hand side of the bike.
Its not alot of oil (more like a streak really) and I was wondering if it would be ok to loosen the hex bolts and retorque them to 9nm (is there a special torque sequence?) or is it usually necessary to remove the cover and replace the rubber gasket?. Also can I remove this cover without loosing a heap of oil? I,m not sure if it contains oil anyway being the outer Clutch cover?
Just to make things interesting I have replaced the clutch cable recently and did give it a lube prior to install. There is some of this lubricant leaking out the end of the clutch cable onto the bracket that holds it on the actuator arm however the area below around the clutch actuator is bone dry so I dont see how it would travel all the way down the bottom of the clutch cover without leaving some evidence.

I would really appreciate any advice

Regards

Tobycat

Wellington
New Zealand

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Ordinarily, I check over all the cover bolts every few months or so. I do not use a torque wrench for such a small Nm value. Instead, I simply 'nip up' the cover bolts using a 1/4 inch drive ratchet in a diagonal pattern.

To begin with, I would work your way through each bolt carefully. Ride the bike and check for oil leaks afterwards. Also, wipe the excess cable lubricant so as not to confuse the issue...

If you are careful you will get the 'feel' of the correct torque value. Don't over-tighten or use a large-size ratchet. The smaller the tool the better -- e.g., small-sized spanner or 1/4 inch ratchet -- otherwise there is a danger of having too much leverage and thereby inadvertently over-tightening and striping the aluminium thread in the casing!

This is my 2002 Daytona 955i CE clutch cover after I replaced all the bolts following having them re-cadmium plated

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Deano for the reply and pic,

Those replated bolts look awesome several of mine have a little surface rust and look second rate.
The leak or smear of oil on my bike appears to be originating from between the outer cover (It has the three hex bolts inserted into its face)and that fat rubber gasket right atthe bottom. Can I just loosen and retorque the three hex bolts the same as you mentioned? otherwise I'm guessing to replace that big circular rubber gasket is just removing the three hex bolts and cover comes off?

many thanks

Regards

Tobycatz
2003 Speed Triple
Wellington
New Zealand
A Kiwi can fly on a Triumph

·
Super Moderator
21,255 Posts
... The leak or smear of oil on my bike appears to be originating from between the outer cover (It has the three hex bolts inserted into its face)and that fat rubber gasket ...
No oil behind that cover - that cover just decorative, can be removed altogether and there is no impact functionally
Remove it and see why you have oil inside there.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome, thank you DEcosse

That was the answer I was looking for. I had a suspicion that there
wasnt oil behind this cover however all the threads and advice I had found referred to the main clutch cover behind it on the 955i's.
So at least I know now that oil should not be originating from behind this cover so I wonder where its coming from? the only source I can see is the clutch cable as mentioned above but its a long way for it to travel. Is there anyway oil could get behind it? the surrounding area's e'g by the oil dipstick etc are all bone dry not streaks of oil to be seen. I have dried the area thoroughly and if it happens again I will remove the cover and have a look.

Thanks again

Regards

Tobycatz

·
Super Moderator
21,255 Posts
Just remove cover anyway and see what you have going on behind it; as said, it's not an oil seal, should be dry back there.
Sure, if the clutch cable was over-zealously lubed, it could conceivably have dripped onto that area and run to the bottom
Just re-read your original post and saw you just recently lubed that - almost certainly the source.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again DEcosse,

Your advice is reassuring, I will remove the cover and have a look though I do agree with you about the overlubed clutch cable being the likely source. I was rather zealous with it and their is oil still gathering at the end of the cable after each ride.

Regards

Tobycatz
2003 Speed Triple
Wellington
New Zealand

Kiwis can fly on a Triumph

1 - 7 of 7 Posts