Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just signed up to Triumph Rat. I have a 2002 tt600 I bought two months ago from my friend (original owner). I have read a lot of the threads on here about the oil leaks from the breather drain pipes and see that it's very common. Can someone please give me detailed/ specific instructions on how to repair the problem so that there is no leakage from the breather. Hopefully there is an o.e.m way that doesn't require any modifications. And my second concern is only sometimes when i start the bike cold it smokes blue out of the pipe then goes away... but it doesn't do it everytime.. so i wouldn't think valve stem seals. And when I ride the bike very hard FOT shifts at 13,800 to 14,000 rpm the bike starts smoking out of the pipe when i stop at a light. then eventually goes away. I don't know if the bike is overfilled or not because when i check the oil with the bike upright cold the level is good, but after a ride upright it shows a little high. It's a wet sump motor so i don't know? oh yes and bike has 17,700 miles on it... and of course my stator cover gasket is also leaking.

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
Your issue has come up a lot, and here is a thread that might further explain it: breather seal thread

Some people say they had to replace both the breather seals and the centrifugal and other just the seals. The right side (the brake levers side) engine cover towards the front is where the seals are, so you'll need to remove that to see what you need. You can get the oem parts at a dealership or at bikebandit.com.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response Bombfactory, the link you sent didn't work, can you tell me which items I would need out of the bikebandit.com schematic for the breather hoses and seals? Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
Thanks for the response Bombfactory, the link you sent didn't work, can you tell me which items I would need out of the bikebandit.com schematic for the breather hoses and seals? Thanks
Sorry about the link; it should work now. In it you will find what the gentleman did (replaced the seal only). He also states the part number for a heavy-duty seal he bought from a bearing shop/parts house which is supposedly better than oem. As to the validity of that, I cannot say. The seal you are probably going to replace is number 18 under the 'engine covers' subcategory on bbandit. I've not yet been able to find the centrifugal/breather disc on their website, so if that needs replacing you might need to call a dealership. Again, I'd pull everything apart and see what you need before placing an order.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Breather problem repair

I have not yet repaired the breather leak issue on my tt600, but i want to get to it for sure this week. I was just reviewing the thread I had on here from before... and i don't quite understand how the seal that bombfactory suggested relates to oil leaking out of the breather tubes. I believe it's the seal # 18 at the bikebandit website under the heading of engine covers link: http://www.bikebandit.com/triumph-motorcycle-tt600-2002/o/m17598

I more expected that there would be an issue from the hoses or something under the "Air Box" section of the bike bandit site.

Thank you, somebody please guide me on what this all means

·
Super Moderator
8,690 Posts
Windage from the crank creates oil vapors. The oil vapors vent through the breather into the airbox. If the valve and seals don't work properly, you get an airbox full of oil. It's not a good situation. When you do the replacement, it wouldn't hurt to pull the tank and clean out the airbox, since I am willing to bet it's pretty messy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks I have had my tank and air box off, but what do I need to replace in the airbox area and what does that internal seal under the engine cover have to do with the breather leak. Someone please give me instructions thank you all very much.

·
Super Moderator
8,690 Posts
When you took off the airbox, you had to disconnect a roughly 1/2" hose on the right side, if memory serves me right. Follow the hose down to the motor and you will see it goes to the crankcase. That's where you need to replace seals and the breather valve. I haven't had a TT600 for three years, so my memory is getting a bit fuzzy. With any luck, somebody who has one can chime in and fill in the blanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts